Shipping Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanveronica

Reaction score
Hi...I am looking for suggestions on the best way to send soap through the mail. I have never done this before, but now have an opportunity to do so. I want to make sure the soap doesn't get damaged...what kind of boxes are best? Also I need to figure out how to charge for shipping. I want it to be fair...not interested in making a profit, just don't want to lose money. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

You can get boxes with predetermined shipping amounts from the post office. If you're only sending one or two soaps, probably one of those envelopes with the bubble wrap on the inside would work too. Just guessing here as I've never sent soap before. But shipping I know you can get flat rates on.

I've been just using the flat rate boxes and I have flat rate padded envelopes coming in the mail. (You can only get those online) thru the postal service. I've been driving the packages to the post office, that's getting tiresome tho. I'm now looking into shipping by PayPal printing the postage thru PayPal and then just putting it in the mailbox here at home.

~bummed about the shipping hike tho.

(Sorry, I hit the edit button instead of the quote button.)
LSG:crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get boxes with predetermined shipping amounts from the post office. If you're only sending one or two soaps, probably one of those envelopes with the bubble wrap on the inside would work too. Just guessing here as I've never sent soap before. But shipping I know you can get flat rates on.

About the envelopes, do you think they would protect the soap enough? It probably gets banged around alot with the postal service.

I've been just using the flat rate boxes and I have flat rate padded envelopes coming in the mail. (You can only get those online) thru the postal service. I've been driving the packages to the post office, that's getting tiresome tho. I'm now looking into shipping by PayPal printing the postage thru PayPal and then just putting it in the mailbox here at home.

When you say flat rate, does that mean the rate is the same no matter what the zip code is where you are sending it? In other words, you buy the box and fill it up and send it on it's way?

When you say flat rate, does that mean the rate is the same no matter what the zip code is where you are sending it? In other words, you buy the box and fill it up and send it on it's way?

Yep pretty much.
The flat rate boxes are free to anyone at the post office.
Flat rate to anywhere in the US.
If it fits it ships. They have 3 sizes of boxes.

Small for 5.00 something ( price just went up) I fit 3 bars of soap in this.
Medium for 11.00 something (price just went up) I can get up to 20 bars in that. And large (never used).

Only thing is I wish I could fit more into the small. That's why I thought the padded envelop maybe would fit one more if I cram. I dunno.

There is an international flat rate too.
Don't know much about that tho.

I've sent a good bit of soap in padded envelopes. I never had anyone say that the soap was damaged. I just figured it saved enough that it was worth a chance. If any soap was damaged, I would have just replaced it.

Yep pretty much.
The flat rate boxes are free to anyone at the post office.
Flat rate to anywhere in the US.
If it fits it ships. They have 3 sizes of boxes.

Small for 5.00 something ( price just went up) I fit 3 bars of soap in this.
Medium for 11.00 something (price just went up) I can get up to 20 bars in that. And large (never used).

Only thing is I wish I could fit more into the small. That's why I thought the padded envelop maybe would fit one more if I cram. I dunno.

There is an international flat rate too.
Don't know much about that tho.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful to me. I just joined the forum, and already got some answers! lovin it :-D

I've sent a good bit of soap in padded envelopes. I never had anyone say that the soap was damaged. I just figured it saved enough that it was worth a chance. If any soap was damaged, I would have just replaced it.

Thanks...between padded envelopes and flat rate boxes (JenSoapySuds post) I"ll be trying both. It's nice to be able to get ideas from fellow soapmakers :smile:

Same here.....I have sent a good amount in the padded envelope w/ no complaints. Go for it ;)

Yup! I have shipped more in a flat rate envelope (with my customers permission) and have had no problems with them. Soap gets there perfect. It also helps on shipping cost.

Yup! I have shipped more in a flat rate envelope (with my customers permission) and have had no problems with them. Soap gets there perfect. It also helps on shipping cost.

Yes! I recently did this too. Got 8 bars and some samples in it for 5.15.
It's a cardboard envelope (flat rate) probably really made for papers.
Nothing is bubble wrapped tho. The customer has to be okay with it being shipped this way. My soaps made it undamaged. You may have to tape the edges to reinforce the hold.

I was surprised the post office accepted mine. It was bulging and really
full for cardboard. Shipping costs are such a bummer.

You can sign up for an account online with the USPS and print out shipping labels with your printer. I do it all the time.

I too mail small orders in padded envelopes with no issues. I can get 4 or 5 bars in the small box, 25 to 30 in the medium box and up to 60 in the large box. It is such a good deal for me because I ship 50 or 60 bars every couple of months to Texas from Virginia and the savings is over $30 a box based on weight!

Yes! I recently did this too. Got 8 bars and some samples in it for 5.15.
It's a cardboard envelope (flat rate) probably really made for papers.
Nothing is bubble wrapped tho. The customer has to be okay with it being shipped this way. My soaps made it undamaged. You may have to tape the edges to reinforce the hold.

I was surprised the post office accepted mine. It was bulging and really
full for cardboard. Shipping costs are such a bummer.

I'm learning about the shipping costs...you're right...bummer!

I watched some product reviews on You Tube and the girls and guys were complaining that their bubble bars, cupcake soaps etc. had melted, were smashed or warped. They lived in very warm climates, AZ etc. The reviewers expressed disappointment. I don't know if there is temperature controlled packaging but you may want to look into it if you plan to continue shipping products. Here is the vid. Search to the 3:32 mark:

[ame="http://youtu.be/JqjEBxBfXF8"]MelsSweetBarHaul...[/ame]
Watching reviews are helpful to me in that, insight into what the customer thinks about packaging never actually occurs to me. Details count, apparently. I saw her point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back