shipping Etsy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
Do I need a degree in shipping ? I was calculating shipping on Etsy and they don't accept my dimensions.

Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 12.15.18 PM.png

I just saw I can mail priority, for some reason I thought priority is flat rate?

No, priority mail is not just flat rate service. It is an expedited shipping service with (nowadays) full tracking and faster delivery than parcel post. I ship about 1000 packages via USPS priority every year.

You CAN use flat-rate boxes from the USPS to ship priority if you want to. The boxes are available at no additional cost -- you are paying for the boxes as part of your priority mail fees. There are three basic flat rate boxes -- small, medium and large. If you ship APO/FPO (in other words, ship to a military address), there are APO/FPO flat rate boxes too.

From Iowa (or Chicago), Priority flat rate may be more economical if shipping heavy packages (more than about 3 lb) to either coast and if the product fits in a flat-rate box. If shipping to the central part of the US or shipping lightweight orders to the coasts, however, regular Priority is almost always less expensive.

There are non-flat-rate Priority mail boxes too -- again, there is no additional cost for the boxes. Just ask for them at your PO.

Thank you DeeAnna.I'm still lost,sorry.
I love to print my own shipping label.Let's say,I have the shaving cream
( I just sold my first one,on Etsy) in a 4x4x4 box,which fits perfectly.But of course,the shipping label wouldn't fit on the box, meaning,I would have to go to the post office:cry:
I have tons of boxes from USPS,thank you.

Just wrap the label around the box. The important part to have facing up and easy to read is the delivery address and the large barcode right below it. Honest ... that's all you need to do.

Seriously,that's all ?
If I could change the format to smaller,is that allowed ?

Yes, you can reduce the size. I have done that unintentionally, and it dioes work. If you reduce it enough so the label fits entirely on one face of your 4x4x4 box, however, the smaller barcode might be difficult to read. The delivery people are scanning barcodes in all kinds of lighting and environmental conditions, so legibility of the barcode is important.

My postmaster and I have a good working relationship and she's a really competent gal. She told me the address and the big bar code below the address are the critical things to have clearly visible -- the rest of the stuff on the label is secondary.

Latest posts

Back