Shining Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orebma

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I wondered if there is a way to make soaps appear more shiney? There isn't any dustiness or anything but I'd really like the ones I coloured to look like a stone to be shinier

It's a finished bar? Cured? Dip into a bowl of water quickly, place bar on a rack to drain and dry. I also wondering if spritzing with isopropyl alcohol will do the same thing.

It's a finished bar? Cured? Dip into a bowl of water quickly, place bar on a rack to drain and dry. I also wondering if spritzing with isopropyl alcohol will do the same thing.
I have some part cured and one I've just made. So - wait till it is cured to dip or isopropyl?

Most of my soaps develop a matte, velvety surface all by themselves, and this even restores by itself after each usage (if I let them dry completely). I'm happy with this. Telling this since you might consider embracing the classy look of a matte finish.

If you want to achieve high gloss, you might “burnish” it, but they have to have just the right amount of residual moisture. To get clay glossy, one waits for the “leather-hard” state (just dry enough that you see every fingerprint), and then rubs the surface with a hard object (agate burnisher if you're fancy). Idk how far this is transferable to soap, but it's worth a try!

Depending on the age of the soap and your goals, have you considered shrink-wrapping?

And of course, the lazy method for getting the best glossy effects is M&P.

Most of my soaps develop a matte, velvety surface all by themselves, and this even restores by itself after each usage (if I let them dry completely). I'm happy with this. Telling this since you might consider embracing the classy look of a matte finish.

If you want to achieve high gloss, you might “burnish” it, but they have to have just the right amount of residual moisture. To get clay glossy, one waits for the “leather-hard” state (just dry enough that you see every fingerprint), and then rubs the surface with a hard object (agate burnisher if you're fancy). Idk how far this is transferable to soap, but it's worth a try!

Depending on the age of the soap and your goals, have you considered shrink-wrapping?

And of course, the lazy method for getting the best glossy effects is M&P.
wow - I read the pottery article - who knew??? I love the idea of burnishing :)

Latest posts

Back