Shelf life of oils? SO MANY OILS!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthylla

Reaction score
I've looked through the first couple of pages of posts, and didn't see a topic about this, so here goes.

I'm new to soaping, and the amount of oils and butters to choose from is overwhelming. I'd like to start with long-lasting oils so I don't need to worry about spoilage. I'm also looking to create a soap that is gentle enough for my very dry skin.

What are some of the oils/butters with the longest shelf lives? Which oils/butters have a very short life?

Any advice is much appreciated.... thank you!

Elly said:

I don't agree with the claim that wheat germ oil extends the life of other oils. I've read that when exposed to heat, wgo can break down, and that can cause rancidity.

I'd do a check on wgo before using it as an oil shelf-life extender.

I'd use rosemary oleoresin for that purpose.

Liza WGO is rich in vitamin E that is why there is some claim that it helps prevent oxidation but it is only referred to the shelf life of the oil in storage not when oil is processed (heated) I totally agree with you that heating would nullify this property of WGO, heat would also affect ROE which is almost like an essential oil that is affected by higher temps, I suspect that lye would affect the antixodant effect of ROE, this is only my opinion :wink:

Latest posts

Back