Quantcast

Shea butter for soap - how much can I use?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

kavakava

New Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I normally use Shea butter for lotions and creams. I have a batch that is about to expire, and there is no way I can use it all up, so I thought about making it into soap.

Now, I have not made soap before, but I make lotions and body butters all the time, so I hope that will not be too difficult.

Could anyone please advise on how much Shea I can use in a soap recipe? I have a LOT of it left, as said - about 10kg (20 pounds). Can a soap be made with 100% Shea as the fat component used?

Should I use the cold or the hot process here?

Any help/input would be much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Boris

London,UK
 

CPSoaper

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2007
Messages
501
Reaction score
0
I never use it at more than 10% in my cp soap. You can always try a batch at a higher percentage and see how it comes out. Good luck.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Yep, when I do use it, and I have 2 recipes that I made that I use Shea butter in, I use at 5 to 8%. It is so much better in leave on products and my Whipped Shea & Kpaingan recipe is fantastic! But since one of the great things about Shea is it's high percentage of unsaponificatables (that is not spelled right, but you know what I mean) that it brings to a bar of soap. The goodies stay in the bar of soap and the skin benefits from them.

ETA: Hi and welcome to our forum! 8) Glad to meet you, have fun here! We love to help when we can! :D


Paul... :wink:
 

kavakava

New Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi everybody,

Many thanks for all your replies and making me feel welcome!

So, not really sure what to do with all that Shea now...if I can only use it up to about 10%, I'm gonna have tons of soap! Not sure either what to use for the remaining 90%?

Thanks!
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
kavakava said:
Hi everybody,

Many thanks for all your replies and making me feel welcome!

So, not really sure what to do with all that Shea now...if I can only use it up to about 10%, I'm gonna have tons of soap! Not sure either what to use for the remaining 90%?

Thanks!
Whipped Shea is a great product and sells well for me.

Paul.... :wink:
 

kavakava

New Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Soapmaker Man said:
Whipped Shea is a great product and sells well for me.

Paul.... :wink:
Hi Paul - yes, I know, I make a lot of whipped Shea as well, but as I mentioned in my first post, I have a huge batch that is about to expire left over, and there is no way I can use it all up. So, instead of throwing it away, I thought about making it into soap...but if I can only use it up to 10%, I am not sure if that would be viable for me - as I would need to get 90% of something else as well...

:p
 

smellygoodsoapy

New Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
You can totally make soap out of 100% shea butter. African black soap is usually all (or a very high percentage) shea butter. Most people use it in small quantities because it's so expensive, but it should make a wonderfully moisturizing soap.
 

Soapmaker Man

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2007
Messages
3,006
Reaction score
87
Location
SW Missouri
Or, you can send it to me! I'll take care of it and give it a good life! :lol: :lol:
What Irena said is a great idea! It should freeze just fine! I freeze my Deer Tallow!

Paul.... :wink:
 
Top