Shaving Soaps for use without specialized equipment?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So I'm doing research for a potential shaving soap that's probably not going to be made for another few months at this point!

Anyway, I can't help but get lost. Everything I can find calls for uber-fancy shaving equipment. Bowls, brushes, fancy razors... And that is just Not Me. When I shave legs/arms/underarms, it's in the shower, usually in a hurry (no spending minutes building up lather!), and I've been using a basic gilette two-blade disposable razor. (I don't use scrubbies, think a brush would be a rather silly way to apply lather to a large area like a leg, and I only use my handknit washcloths for my face.) And while I'd like to eventually be able to offer samples to my friends, I'm definitely focusing on my needs first.

So do I use clay? Not use it? Any tips on how to better focus my searches? I've gone to Google and used both "women shaving" and "leg shaving" focused on this site and not gotten much that's helpful. I know a high amount of stearic acid is touted as key, and at least some coconut oil so that it starts to lather quickly... Also no tallow or lard for me (like I said, I want to offer samples to my friends, and there's vegetarians in that group).

I'm also not particular about super-thick lather. I haven't used shaving cream since college. I switched to cheap gel shampoos and basic bar "soap" to save money. I"m just trying to make something a bit more targeted than whatever I'm washing with that day.

I've been reading Songwind's thread, one of the first I looked at. Unfortunately for me, he focuses on shaving with a brush... While that's fine for him, I'm not seeing how to translate it to what I need.

Well, you don't need to use an old fashioned razor to shave with a shaving soap. Nor do you need a bowl (you can go straight from the soap to your legs w/ a brush.)

I don't know of any shaving soap in a puck that's meant for use without a brush, though. I think it would take longer to lather it up by hand that it would with the brush, so you aren't really saving anything in terms of time/convenience. Traditional creams, on the other hand, can mostly be hand lathered successfully. So perhaps you want to look at a cream soap.

You really, honestly don't need a brush for Songwind's soap. I never use one and neither does my husband. If you want lots of suds, lather up in your hands or with a cloth or puff and apply the lather to the skin. Or just rub the soap directly on the body parts to be shaved (legs, armpits, face, etc.) and then rub with the hands. You'll build a lather that is just as protective and slick -- just not so fluffy. PM me with your address and I'll mail you a puck so you can try it for yourself.

I made songwinds shaving soap and since I don't have a proper brush, I use a natural bristle basting brush. It works really well and I enjoy whipping the lather up. I gave a bar to my daughter and she just uses her hands to lather it. The clay definitley helps, the razor glides so well and the hair & gunk rinses right off the razor.

I'm not sayin' a shaving connoisseur would approve, but it works fine for me and DH. Your soap, Songwind, lathers so very freely. I think that is the "secret" to this soap working so well as a shave soap even if one doesn't use a proper brush.

I'm not sayin' a shaving connoisseur would approve, but it works fine for me and DH. Your soap, Songwind, lathers so very freely. I think that is the "secret" to this soap working so well as a shave soap even if one doesn't use a proper brush.

Sure. And honestly, the brush on the face is part of the enjoyment. But if it works in my final formulation, that's a selling point I can put in the listings for people who are interested but have no brush.

It just seems like a brush is such an inefficient way to lather up legs! Back when I used shaving creams, or when I use a gel shampoo, I get my whole hand covered to apply to my legs--it lathers them up really quickly.

DeeAnna--Good to to know it can be used straight on the legs! That's how I currently use whatever bar I grab. And thank you very much! That's very generous of you! If you want a sample of one of my soaps in return, just ask! :) They're still very rough beginner ones, though the superlye castile just turned four weeks old.

songwind--when you say cream soap, do you mean a true cream that needs a rot period, or the KOH/NaOH mix idea that's in your thread?

When I made shaving soap I remember using pretty much the same recipe for shea-butter CP soap that I have, and just added kaolin clay. I know I changed an oil or 2 in the batch. I gave it out to men to try it out as long as they filled out a survey asking if there was enough slip, and moisturizing in it, and I got rave reviews on it. Hopefully I can find the recipe. I have recently moved and have not finished unpacking all my soap stuff. If I do manage to find it, I will post it here :)

I've not made Songwind's soap (yet) but from what I remember from reading, it can be fairly unsolid which would allow hand use.

I think that as Songwind doesn't shave his legs (an assumption on my part, Songwind!) then it is only natural that he was referring to a brush as that is his way to use it.

It just seems like a brush is such an inefficient way to lather up legs! Back when I used shaving creams, or when I use a gel shampoo, I get my whole hand covered to apply to my legs--it lathers them up really quickly.

songwind--when you say cream soap, do you mean a true cream that needs a rot period, or the KOH/NaOH mix idea that's in your thread?

For legs, a big brush is best, obviously. But something like an Omega 10048, or HIS synthetic has a contact area the size of your palm. :)

And I meant a true cream.

so, I made a variation of Songwind's soap using the same rough ratio of stearic and coconut, but adding in a bit of shea butter, using KOH. Several months out the soaps are ROCK hard, they do seem to melt quickly in the shower if they get dripped on. They lather beautifully in the hand and are perfect for shaving my legs and underarms. No brush here.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is stearic acid? I get that it is a fatty acid from certain oils, but is it the oi itself? Is it certain types of oil that you use? Is it a precess to separate a certain part of the oil and that it what you are buying? I am a bit confused. Thanks!

Back