Share your regionally themed soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjulz

Reaction score
I'm from Alaska and I know it's odd, but up here people do all kinds of things with moose nuggets (poop) for tourists. Moose are pretty huge animals but their poop is small 1 1/2" oblong, very dry, no stink, it's pretty much just compressed bark and they leave piles of it all over the place :) Anyhow, people make swizzle sticks, earrings, fire starters, slingshot ammo, all kinds of stuff ... Anyway I make moose nugget soap, doesn't actually have any poop in it, just looks like it. And as a bonus, I make it by rebatching all my end cuts and scraps and just hand shape them. They make a great attention getter at shows displayed on a leaf shaped plate in a big pile, and sell well both with summer tourists and for Christmas gifts. Here is a horrible pic, but you get the idea. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1386581977.359918.jpg
I've been selling these for 8 years and people get a real big kick out of this good clean fun. Fortunately all of the other soapers in my community have been respectful of my original concept and not copied my Moose Nuggets.
Now, what do you make or want to make that represents your area?

Cute idea!! I do not have any ideas for myself- at least not yet. But this may have set my brain in motion!

Are you on the mainland? My brother and SIL live in Kodiak.

That is awesome! If I was a tourist I would definitely get some of that poop!

Last night when reading the potato soap thread, I started thinking about what I could do for a local soap. Vermont maple! Plus we make our own maple syrup here at our little farm. :) I've got to work out exactly what I want to do, but I don't see any reason I can't add maple syrup to soap like honey. I know what base recipe I'll use, but need to figure out scent. I don't use fragrance oils, so I need to decide if I'll leave it unscented or add an essential oil blend that complements the idea. I love this creative stage of soap making!

soaping 101 has a video where they did honey, maple syrup, and molasses. The maple syrup had the lightest color, it was really pretty.

GreenMountainWife if you do maple soap, I bought candlemaking.com maple scent & OOB smells like maple syrup. Also bought their maple bacon & really smells like the real thing.

I get the moose poo thing, my in laws had to get out of the car to take pics of bufflo poo here, can't say why but people are amused by simple things! Natures Garden has a reminder poo scent also.

poop soap, omg that is hilarious! :D :D it does look like poop from the pic... color, shape, and all...

I saw a travel special about alaska and they were doing all kinds of things with moose poo! Cracked me up.

No photos, but I do a kudzu soap scented with Kudzu Blossom FO and with purple and green shreds.

I have a Santa Barbara soap on my to-soap list. I was thinking avocado oil in the base with aloe and kelp additives plus eucalyptus and citrus EOs.

My out of state friends tell me that my home state, California, is the land of fruits and nuts.

Being born and raised in Santa Barbara and then transplanted to San Francisco and having almond farmers in the family I have to say your friends are right.

I love this idea but it just occurred to me that my hometown considers itself the onion capital of the world. Maybe I could just make a colorant out of the skins, I know you can make dyes out of them. Otherwise, onion soap anyone? :lolno:

I love this idea but it just occurred to me that my hometown considers itself the onion capital of the world. Maybe I could just make a colorant out of the skins, I know you can make dyes out of them. Otherwise, onion soap anyone? :lolno:

How about French Onion Soap?? :Kitten Love:

You all are great! I like the idea of using the onion skins for dye...and French onion soap. We could come up with a whole 7 course meal...beer or wine soap to "drink". French onion soup course, obsidions potato soap for the starch, tallow or lard something? Maybe some carrot for the veg, finish it off with a pumpkin pie and some coffee soap for desert! Haha

Dont remember your name, but the stone soap accident is brilliant! This is why we never throw any soap away, just keep messing and you may just end up with a masterpiece...or at the very least some good looking poop ; ). And way to just go with it when your friend thought you did it on purpose! Just smile and nod!!!

I live in Williamsburg Virginia. The colonists used to use bayberry wax for candles. I have been experimenting with adding the wax to my soap. It would be nice to have enough to get the scent, but I'm afraid it would require too much wax; making a hard, non-lather bar. I've made two batches thus far, adding a little more bayberry wax each time. Still no scent yet. I've tried bayberry fragrance oil, but it just smells like a Christmas tree, not real bayberry.

In manitoba Canada we have socials, I'm wonderinging if a Social bar could be done... At these socials there is sausage cheese and rye bread given out at a late time. Maybe that can be incorperated into a soap? Or 50/50 and drink ticket m&p soap?:p

As I'm Dutch, maybe I should do a hemp oil soap :p Or tulip soap, to experiment with pretty bright colours.

Latest posts

Back