Shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ask questions of the customer. Really long hair with dry brittle ends, very curly hair that the natural oils can't get to the ends, limp dull hair. overly bleached/colored hair, ect. This type of questioning gives me the overview of their hair. I blend up a test bar for them to try out, if it works then we are in business. The key is to define the hair's needs, after that it is just simple mixing.
I provide all protein and oils in the conditioner :)

Whether a person needs a conditioner or can just use the shampoo depends on the person's hair and and personal preference. I formulate my conditioner specifically to control frizz and reduce combing friction. I also like a bit of panthenol to reduce scalp itchiness and add shine to the hair. These qualities are easier to build into a conditioner because there are no detergents to prevent the ingredients from coating and bonding to the hair shaft and scalp.

I ask questions of the customer. Really long hair with dry brittle ends, very curly hair that the natural oils can't get to the ends, limp dull hair. overly bleached/colored hair, ect. This type of questioning gives me the overview of their hair. I blend up a test bar for them to try out, if it works then we are in business. The key is to define the hair's needs, after that it is just simple mixing.

If you are making lye-based shop you are calling shampoo I give you kudos for marketing skills and I hope your insurance is up to date. No matter how many oils, proteins, etc it is still soap, with to high a ph for hair. Hair really cannot "adjust" as some mention, it is dead and dead does not adjust. The person using it may adjust but not the hair itself.

Check out the law suit against Chaz Dean. It is hard to find as the product has disappeared, but his original shampoo was "All Natural,| and was a lye-based LS. I told my husband at the time he was going to pay for that one, and shame on him because he had to know better. His products today are no longer lye-based and are basically a lotion/conditioner

If you are making lye-based shop you are calling shampoo I give you kudos for marketing skills and I hope your insurance is up to date. No matter how many oils, proteins, etc it is still soap, with to high a ph for hair. Hair really cannot "adjust" as some mention, it is dead and dead does not adjust. The person using it may adjust but not the hair itself.

Check out the law suit against Chaz Dean. It is hard to find as the product has disappeared, but his original shampoo was "All Natural,| and was a lye-based LS. I told my husband at the time he was going to pay for that one, and shame on him because he had to know better. His products today are no longer lye-based and are basically a lotion/conditioner
Thanks for telling about soap vs shampoo in labeling. I don’t sell soap (yet) and a friend said her “shampoo bars” were not big sellers. However, I have been using my own shampoo bars (soap!) and I really like it. I use a 50% apple cider vinegar rinse. When I am done, I don’t smell the vinegar. I have an oily scalp and my hair has always been thick but very fine. Feels like baby hair! It was so limp but I couldn’t have perms because the hair is so fine it would become like straw and my scalp had sores. Believe it or not, my hair has an amazing amount of body now! If I sell soap, I don’t plan to sell this bar. I don’t even gift it. I may give some to my sons who have very short hair. One uses commercial bar soap on his now!!! Ewwww!!!

A $26 million payout tells you that they're making WAY more money by continuing to sell, even if they're fined.

I've been checking out the company that I originally found when looking for an alternative to chemical shampoos that were so irritating. Their shampoo bars are what got me into soap making.
All their soaps and shampoos are lye based using CP or HP methods. They are a huge company now having worked up from being a tiny home business but still hand make their soaps in small batches with all natural ingredients.
They sell loads of shampoo bars all over the UK, and I and many others have used them for years with no ill effects.
Do you think the problems noted above come from mistakes in the manufacturing due to lack of testing and regulations? In the UK every process and recipe has to be assessed, safety certified and then stuck to rigourously. As well as being insured. I'm quite sure that recipes for lye based shampoo bars would not be approved if they tested unsafe for purpose.
I don't see any extra ingredients in there other than oils and essential oils so nothing that would reduce the pH so that's the only thing I can think of.

Here is a link to their site. You can check out their claims and ingredients and see if I've missed anything.
https://www.funkysoapshop.com

you know how it goes with professionals?
I brought to Canada a puppy; boxer from last litter . She was a beautiful dog. I went to well known vet to give her a clean bill of health before breeding. He told me that I have no chance with her on dog shows or breeding here, "do you know how beautiful dogs are in Canada. " Boxers in Canada sucked at this time, not in standard anyway., It was 30 years ago so now it is different situation, but still they are not like the ones in Europe. I had not say anything, my dog was from the best line of German boxers . She won few shows here and her pupps were gone in like a day. From this time on I do check professionals, I even check my doctor, they make mistakes too. I will never believe that soap does not damage hair cuticles :)

I've been checking out the company that I originally found when looking for an alternative to chemical shampoos that were so irritating. Their shampoo bars are what got me into soap making.
All their soaps and shampoos are lye based using CP or HP methods. They are a huge company now having worked up from being a tiny home business but still hand make their soaps in small batches with all natural ingredients.
They sell loads of shampoo bars all over the UK, and I and many others have used them for years with no ill effects.
Do you think the problems noted above come from mistakes in the manufacturing due to lack of testing and regulations? In the UK every process and recipe has to be assessed, safety certified and then stuck to rigourously. As well as being insured. I'm quite sure that recipes for lye based shampoo bars would not be approved if they tested unsafe for purpose.
I don't see any extra ingredients in there other than oils and essential oils so nothing that would reduce the pH so that's the only thing I can think of.

Here is a link to their site. You can check out their claims and ingredients and see if I've missed anything.
they are safe on skin but they damage hair, damaging hair does not cause any health problems, It is just damaged hair which is dead anyway. I have friends who make the same things as I do, UK, and all over the Europe, Eu regulation is about safety not the beautifying .....

I love this!
Adjusting to your Natural Shampoo Bar
It certainly explains why some experienced soapers like Dahila have problems using lye-based soap for shampoo. Thanks for sharing that link, Karen.
Thank You.gif

I was beginning to think there was no one who agreed that soap (shampoo) bars were good!
A little background... When I joined SMF in 2017, the subject of "Shampoo Bars" was banned from discussion -- mainly because of the passion of the syndet crowd which caused experienced soap makers like myself to back off just to keep the peace.

During that first year, I saw other experienced soapmakers leave in disgust, one after another, because of the less than kind treatment they received when they shared their knowledge and experience which didn't align with the majority. It has only been within the last year that I've been allowed to participate in discussions about Shampoo Bars, which I am grateful for, but still get nit-picked to death simply because my "opinion" is based on knowledge and experience, i.e., not on science. As I stated in this thread in 2017, I didn't learn to make all natural homemade soap only to be told I have to use syndets (synthetic/detergent) for shampoo. Here's the link to that post:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...uid-soap-and-shampoo.62836/page-2#post-636758

Last edited:
I believe that whatever product you put in your hair is going to damage it to some extent. Wind, sunshine, heat, life n general damages hair. When I used synthetic shampoos I used to have to change them frequently as they stopped working the same as they did at the start and I always had to use conditioner on my long curly hair.
All I know it's that for the last 4 years I haven't needed to use a conditioner at all, my scalp no longer itches like I have lice and I have noticed no more damage than previously :D

I was beginning to think there was no one who agreed that soap (shampoo) bars were good! Guess it depends on the recipe and on hair/scalp type. Of course, there are always opinions. I will use mine until my trusted beautician sees a problem!

I have been blasted about how lye based shampoo bars are bad. What on earth did they do before all this synthetic shampoos came out?! My Gran remembered making soap/shampoo for her hair, and for the rest of the family. No one's hair was fried from it.

I love this!
It certainly explains why some experienced soapers like Dahila have problems using lye-based soap for shampoo. Thanks for sharing that link, Karen.
View attachment 40651

A little background... When I joined SMF in 2017, the subject of "Shampoo Bars" was banned from discussion -- mainly because of the passion of the syndet crowd which caused experienced soap makers like myself to back off just to keep the peace.

During that first year, I saw other experienced soapmakers leave in disgust, one after another, because of the less than kind treatment they received when they shared their knowledge and experience which didn't align with the majority. It has only been within the last year that I've been allowed to participate in discussions about Shampoo Bars, which I am grateful for, but still get nit-picked to death simply because my "opinion" is based on knowledge and experience, i.e., not on science. As I stated in this thread in 2017, I didn't learn to make all natural homemade soap only to be told I have to use syndets (synthetic/detergent) for shampoo. Here's the link to that post:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...uid-soap-and-shampoo.62836/page-2#post-636758

Thank you so much! I was using my daughter's shampoo (made from Dr Donner's soap), so my hair had already gotten adjusted to it - shampoo vars were just a solid form of what she made. I did notice that I had a waxy "line" about 2" below my shoulders, one wash with the synthetic shampoo got rid of it and it never came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been blasted about how lye based shampoo bars are bad. What on earth did they do before all this synthetic shampoos came out?! My Gran remembered making soap/shampoo for her hair, and for the rest of the family. No one's hair was fried from it.

She also probably did not wash her hair every day or two as so many people have been doing since the influx of shampoo commercials that said things like, 'so gentle I wash my hair every day' and stuff like that. I am probably dating myself by quoting what was in shampoo commercials when I was young. Plus daily use of hair spray and other various products, not to mention air pollution, that makes one feel the need to wash their hair more frequently. Also ladies didn't do a lot of the activities many women do today that lends itself to making the hair more dirty or retain odors we don't want in our hair (smoky night-clubs, daily jogging, working out at the gym, competition sports, stuff like that)

I read an article in an old newspaper that was published over a century ago, wherein the recommendation for how to wash women's hair (customarily long like I used to wear mine) included dilute Castile soap, and to wash gently (no vigorous scrubbing) and rinse thoroughly with rain water until the water runs clear. The recommended frequency for washing the hair was approximately monthly or perhaps twice monthly if necessary. This was in a New York (US) paper as I recall, so it only pertains to what was the accepted norm at the time in the US. I have no idea what the norms were in other parts of the world, other than that hair washing was less frequent still in some areas where soap was not as ready a commodity in some parts of the world in some eras.

Earlene is correct, they did not wash their hair even weekly. They would brush it to keep distributing the oils. So you cannot compare. During wartime and the depression, most had to use soap, even beauty salons or they had used very harsh shampoo diluted down.

Anyone that wants to use soap, go for it, but if you damage your hair don't expect your Beautician to fix it since only cutting it will fix it. Even the cheapest shampoos are better than what they were 20 yrs ago.

they also used juka roots or soap something forgot the name, the plant root powder that I was adding to soaps to get more bubbles, I do not feel like running downstairs to check the name. I bet someone knows what it is, The hair was washed once a months when full moon. It suppose to make hair shiny. Actually there is even some research , how we connect to moon phases (women)
they also used a lot of herbs to rinse the hair, women had a long hair, so for some of them it took a good 12 hours for hair to dry,

I love this!

I can verify the fact that it took a few weeks for my hair to look right after I started using my soap shampoo bars but, it did come around. I had read about an adjustment period somewhere so I wasn't alarmed.

Back