Shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they also used juka roots or soap something forgot the name, the plant root powder that I was adding to soaps to get more bubbles, I do not feel like running downstairs to check the name. I bet someone knows what it is, The hair was washed once a months when full moon. It suppose to make hair shiny. Actually there is even some research , how we connect to moon phases (women)
they also used a lot of herbs to rinse the hair, women had a long hair, so for some of them it took a good 12 hours for hair to dry,
Yucca or soapnuts? :)

I am a bit grumbly today, I had a batch of oils just the right temp for the lye and the bowl fulled with 48 ozs of oils fell onto the floor! I yelled for my Hubby to get the old towels so I could sop up the mess. Do you know that warm oils can find the darnest things to flow under?! I had to trash the pair of legging I was wearing, toss my crocs into the tub, and I stormed off for a hot shower! My Sweet Hubby cleaned up the mess for me.

Hallo. I can't disagree that most shampoos have pH below 7 but I found scientific article where they investigated 123 shampoos. The pH range of all 123 shampoos is between 3.5 to 9.0. For adults the preferable pH is from 5.5 to 7.0 when for children it is between 6.5 to 8.0. Also

I noticed that anti dandruff shampoos are with slightly higher pH than regular. They are in the same range from 5.5 to 7.0 but there are more shampoos with pH 7.0 compared to shampoos for regular use. Even there is a shampoo with pH 9. I suppose that this is due to the antifungal activity of the additives in them.

Another thing they have investigated were Commercial, Dermatological and Professional shampoos. Commercial shampoos are in the range 5.5 to 7.5, Dermatological - 4.0 to 7.0 (there is one with 9.0) but Professional are in the range of 5.0 to 6.0.

There are few shampoos in the pH range 7.5 - 9.0 but they exist.

The scientists that have made that investigation conclude that:
"Alkaline pH may increase the negative electrical charge of the hair fiber surface and, therefore, increase friction between the fibers. This may lead to cuticle damage and fiber breakage. It is a reality and not a myth that lower pH of shampoos may cause less frizzing for generating less negative static electricity on the fiber surface. Interestingly, only 38% of the popular brand shampoos against 75% of the salons shampoos presented a pH ≤ 5.0. Pediatric shampoos had the pH of 7.0 because of the “no-tear” concept. There is no standardized value for the final pH. The authors believe that it is important to reveal the pH value on the shampoo label, but studies are needed to establish the best pH range for both the scalp and the hair fiber's health."

My conclusion is that choosing the right pH of your shampoo is strongly individual and also influenced by the purpose of the shampoo.

Back