Shampoo bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
I have been looking for a shampoo recipe and was hoping someone has a tried and true one. My hair is naturally curly, colored and tends to be dry. I wash it, condition it, towel dry and brush. That's the extent of my hair care, I hate messing with it and putting stuff on it. Since I started making my own soap I would like to make my own shampoo that does not leave my hair drier and frizzy. Any suggestions?

I posted this before:

Here's my favorite shampoo bar recipe:

4 ounces castor oil
2 ounces jojoba oil
4 ounces olive oil (pomace quality)
3 ounces palm oil
1 ounce cocoa butter
6 ounces of coconut oil

7.6 ounces water
2.617 ounces lye

(8% superfat)

I used lavender, cedarwood, and rosemany essential oils. (not much, you can barely smell anything).

I really, really like this shampoo bar!

Syndets are synthetic surfactant based.

If your hair's already on the dry side, cp probably will make it worse. CP's ph is usually too high for our hair.

I haven't made any syndet bars yet (it's on my to do list), but I've used quite a few of them. Get Lathered on Etsy makes an awesome shampoo bar. So does Ballyhoo on Etsy.
Since switching from regular shampoo to those, my hair feels so much lighter. I'm also allergic to aloe and it's really hard to find a commercial shampoo without aloe in it, so I've been dealing with itchy scalp since I was little.

Anyway, here's a wonderful link on cp soap and hair:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... ampoo.html

Here's Susan's recipes for solid shampoo bars (starts on pg 10)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1020026/surfact ... hingie.pdf

Thank you, I will look into these links and this bar recipe looks good, if it doesn't work for my hair, it still looks like a bar I would like to try.

I too have naturally crazy curly hair, and my best friend is a stylist, so all her new color techniques get tried out on my hair. (fun right? Not really) I stopped shampooing completely last year and it has been the most amazing thing I've ever done. I spent an embarrassing amount of money on shampoos conditioners and products to tame my curls, and the best thing so far has been NO product!

I cleanse with a baking soda/water mixture. It doesn't lather like a normal shampoo but I got used to it. I rinse with a apple cider vinegar/water/EO mixture to neutralize the baking soda and help close the hair cuticles.

I now wash my hair at night, brush it, then sleep on it wet, and wake up with perfectly amazing curls.

I've read that some people go through a 'greasy' phase when switching to this method where the scalp is shocked and starts over producing sebum. But I only washed my hair once or twice a week at the most to begin with, so my head never had to get used to the new routine. It wasn't instant results, but after a month, omg... amazing!

the recipe for the wash is

1 quart boiling water
1/4 cup baking soda
mix and pour into squirt bottle
sprinkle the baking soda into the boiling water otherwise it can go PFSHHH
(ask me how I know lol)

the rinse is
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
bout a quarter tsp of your favorite eo
(i use rosemary, 5x orange, and tea tree)
I also pour in about a tbsp of safflower oil as well.
I've read that some folks use honey, but if your hair is prone to frizziness in humidity, I would probably avoid humectants just in case hehe

Lemme know if you try this and how it works! It is also really fun to take before and after photos of your hair to see the progression :D

Jaime

Latest posts

Back