Shampoo Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water lye ratio is same as saying water to lye or water:lye. You have to please pardon me because I am very new and trying to learn. The lingo of soaping is like the lingo of anything else. If I hit you with nursing lingo and you weren’t a nurse, I’d have to be patient with you as you learned!! So, I don’t use the “ water as percent of fat thing. I am using the percentage at 35. I guess it is the concentration.

SoapCalc has three choices -- the water:lye ratio as a plain number (3, 1.6, etc.), and lye concentration (as a percentage), and "water as % of fat" (also as a percentage). I haven't seen "water to lye" as a setting. I'm guessing you mean lye concentration? But I'm not sure. People confuse lye concentration with "water as % of fat" because they're both expressed as percentages.

Anyways, I still don't understand your concern about your choice of 35% as being "too high for shampoo." Can you explain that, please?
I have never made shampoo and wanted to know if I should use a weaker concentration than I do for soap.

I have never made shampoo and wanted to know if I should use a weaker concentration than I do for soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soap you intend to use for washing hair is just soap. It is no different than soap you intend to use for washing your skin. Soap only "knows" it is soap -- it doesn't care what part of the body you intend to use it on.

Really -- use whatever lye concentration you think is best to make the soap -- forget about how you intend to use it. Maybe the chart from Mr. Akira or the suggestions I've provided will be helpful in making that decision.

If you mean a true soap, meaning the stuff made with lye, the answer is no. All lye-based soap has a pH of around 9-11, and no blend of fats you can think of will change that fact.

That's why many of us recommend a shampoo bar that is based on synthetic detergents, not (lye based) soap, because the right syndet blend can have a neutral to acidic pH and won't be as likely to damage hair.

You're going to see people who have the opposite viewpoint about soap-as-shampoo -- Zany is one. You'll need to listen to both sides and make up your own mind on this matter. But regardless of who says what about soap being used as shampoo, the fact remains that soap naturally has an alkaline pH. You need to take that fact into account when deciding whether to use soap on your hair.
I do HP and know that the HP process lowers the pH but still no longer use soap for shampoo.

Hot process only accelerates the rate of saponification, but the chemical reaction isn't any different. For exactly the same recipe, the pH of the finished soap should be the same no matter whether it's made with a HP or CP method, as far as I am aware.

But I'm always interested in learning more about the science of soap making. Can you point me to a study that supports your thoughts about the pH being lower in HP soap? I'd be very interested to read more about this.

Soap you intend to use for washing hair is just soap. It is no different than soap you intend to use for washing your skin. Soap only "knows" it is soap -- it doesn't care what part of the body you intend to use it on.

Really -- use whatever lye concentration you think is best to make the soap -- forget about how you intend to use it. Maybe the chart from Mr. Akira or the suggestions I've provided will be helpful in making that decision.
Thanks! As usual, I am overthinking things! I do plan to use less CO since it is drying, but not too little because it is cleansing. I’ve never used any butters but decided to use Shea in the shampoo bar because of things I’ve read. Also, I think there are more soft oils in this soap than I usually use. The only time I’ve used as much OO was in a gardener’s hand soap that has cornmeal for scrubbing hands. I am just waiting for the Shea I ordered and I will be making my shampoo. Time to just dive in and quit over thinking!’n

Hiya Lady Sarah!
One thing to remember about Shampoo Bars is that it's takes a bit of time for your hair to adjust to them ... about a year for most of us. I even switched back to a commercial shampoo during that first year! Also, I have "virgin" hair and I don't use a hair dryer or any product other than a DIY conditioner (sometimes), hot oil treatment (occasionally), and a dot or two of Argan Oil for shine and to control frizzies.

Here's a link to learn more (Scroll all the way down to get to the good info ;)):
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars.68585/
Sorry it is not a Shampoo bar but "Soap"
This is true and good to keep in mind when making a "shampoo" bar. I tried washing my hair with every soap I made when I first started soaping. Some worked better than others. Now, my favorite all-around hair and body shampoo is a liquid soap made from 50/50 lard & PKO (Palm Kernel Oil). My DH liked a hard bar: 62% palm, 24% pomace, 14% palm kernel oil; 2% SF, 32% water. It made his silvery white hair glisten -- no dingy yellowing at all. The point being, it takes time to find what works best for you.
You're going to see people who have the opposite viewpoint about soap-as-shampoo -- Zany is one. You'll need to listen to both sides and make up your own mind on this matter.
I agree. Do yourself a favor and take it all in before deciding one way or the other. I've read absolute horror stories from SMF members of how using soap to shampoo damaged their hair.

The key to prevent this from happening, to my mind at least, is to be sure to get all the soap scum out after shampooing. Be sure to rinse with increasingly cool water until it is as cold as you can stand it. Then follow up with an apple cider rinse or something similar. In that video, Kathy mentions red wine vinegar. (Never tried that. :)) There's also lemon juice, herbal rinses, parsley & lemon, etc. BTW, beer makes a wonderful rinse... adds body to the hair also.

SHORT STORY:
Years ago, I used a popular online DIY laundry powder for a long time. At first, it was amazing, but after a bit of time, I noticed my whites looked dingy and my towels felt stiff and developed an odor. This was a result of not getting all the soap residue out. (Imagine doing that to your hair!) Once I used less soap, added white vinegar to the rinse water, and rinsed in cold water as many times as necessary to get all the soap out, my laundry came out as fresh, clean, and soft as any commercial laundry detergent.

I think this is true of using soap to wash hair as well.

I really like soaping 101. Here is her shampoo bar video:
Good video, but there are a couple of things I'd like to add that may be helpful.

1) Instead of "tempering an egg", (Old School) I find it works best to whip it into the castor oil and add that to the rest of the oils before adding the lye solution.

2) IMO & IME beer is fantastic in shampoo bars -- it has wonderful beneficial nutrients (esp. non-domestic beer) and makes copious lather! It may be the alcohol content that made Kathy suggest it may be "drying". To remedy that, the alcohol needs to be evaporated out of the beer before using it to make soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good video, but there are a couple of things I'd like to add that may be helpful.

1) Instead of "tempering an egg", (Old School) I find it works best to whip it into the castor oil and add that to the rest of the oils before adding the lye solution.

2) IMO & IME beer is fantastic in shampoo bars -- it has wonderful beneficial nutrients (esp. non-domestic beer) and makes copious lather! It may be the alcohol content that made Kathy suggest it may be "drying". To remedy that, the alcohol needs to be evaporated out of the beer before using it to make soap.
Zany, thanks for the input. I am VERY new so please forgive me for asking, what is SF!?!?

Zany, thanks for the input. I am VERY new so please forgive me for asking, what is SF!?!?
Oops :oops:... sorry, Robin, I try to be more conscientious with Newbies...
SF = Super Fat aka "lye discount" (Old School)

PS: I'm looking forward to reading about your journey into making Shampoo Bars. I think you'll like that recipe. I haven't tried it, but others have, and even if your hair doesn't like it, it should be a nice facial/body bar.

Back