shampoo bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaissancemom

Reaction score
I have been searching for a good shampoo bar recipe for the longest time. I want something good that won't need an acidic rinse after, but one that treats tangles as well. Any suggestions?

I think it has a lot more to do with you hair type than the recipe when it comes to needing a rinse. I don't need a rinse, and I just use my normal soap recipe, with a bit more castor oil. But then I have really thick, coarse hair and no film is left on my hair.

I pretty much use any of my soaps as shampoo bars.

SilverMaple said:
Avoid coconut oil in your recipe-- it strips the hair.

Why does coconut oil strip hair? all I ve ever heard about it is that it adds moisture? (Im a science guy so I like to know all the technicals behind something I dont understand) :)

Coconut oil is highly moisturizing until it is saponified, after which it tends to be drying unless superfatted, although it does add nice bubbles. I've made several shampoo bars; those with coconut oil leave my hair feeling stripped and tangled, those without are much closer to the feel you'd expect from 'shampoo' than from soap. I tend to use more castor in shampoo bars for lather, and leaving out CO definitely makes a difference for me.

I've also heard the same from other soapers.

I've been doing some research into shampoo ingredients too and came across "Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein".
It's supposed to make the hair all shiny, nice and tangle-free.

I haven't used it yet as I'd have to probably order it from the US ... I am in Eastern Europe ...
Has anybody used it? Does it work?

Happy soaping :)

mari

Hi,

I tried a shampoo bar recipe that I found on this site using 100% coconut oil, 20% superfat, made with goats milk.

It looks great and I can't wait to try it out. Must be patient though, another 5 weeks to go!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

countrygirl1 said:
Hi,

I tried a shampoo bar recipe that I found on this site using 100% coconut oil, 20% superfat, made with goats milk.

It looks great and I can't wait to try it out. Must be patient though, another 5 weeks to go!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

That's one of the ones I use for my hair shampoo. Love it! Seems to make hair grow faster too. :wink:

mariflo said:
I've been doing some research into shampoo ingredients too and came across "Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein".
It's supposed to make the hair all shiny, nice and tangle-free.

I haven't used it yet as I'd have to probably order it from the US ... I am in Eastern Europe ...
Has anybody used it? Does it work?

Happy soaping :)

mari

I came across 'hydrolyzed corn and wheat protein' at www.aromantic.co.uk today. I have no idea what it's like to use in shampoo as I've never used it. I have only made one batch of shampoo and I used olive, coconut, shea butter, cocoa butter and castor oil. I love it but would love to experiment a bit more and create the perfect shampoo bar.

Latest posts

Back