Shampoo bar for very itchy scalp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys,

Will someone please give me a recipe for a simple shampoo bar that can aleviate the itchy and dry scalp problem that my family is suffering from. Should Lindy read this, I can assure her that I live in Denmark and will not use the recipe commercially, but I am so tired (literally) of waking up nights to scratch my scalp. There are plenty on the net, but its you guys that I trust. If you want your recipe to remain secret use chat mode.

I'm sorry, I can't help, but just letting you know that Lindy hasn't been in the forum for 1 1/2 yrs.

Well, in German it's called lavaerde. I think most types of clay would work. I mix mine with a bit of water so it's not powdery any more, then take about the same amount as you would normal shampoo and get it more workable with the water on my hands. Massage it in and leave it for more or less time depending on how my hair is (I use an oily waxy hair product) and then massage it more as I rinse it out.

As I say, it's working for me. Far less (not quite no) itchy flakey patches, which means far less dandruff. Plus My hair feels and looks better.

"...a simple shampoo bar that can aleviate the itchy and dry scalp problem that my family is suffering from..."

I find myself wondering how anyone can give decent advice about without knowing what you do now. What kind of shampoo or other product have you been using so far? What works a little better? What makes things worse? Do you or other family members have allergies or skin conditions that make the scalp more likely to itch?

Hi DeeAnna!
You have a way of making me feel like a complete fool (which actually might be true).
No, none of us have allergies or skin problems. I have never tried to make shampoo, but have used loads of different ones. None I have tried seem to do the trick. The itchyness could be something to do with the weather, since spring and sunshine seems to help (a bit). I've seen a lot of different recipes, but I have a hard time understanding all the abreviations. Sigh.

I don’t use soap on my hair. There is a lot of advice on this forum about how bad it is for your hair because it is the wrong pH.

I use commercial shampoo with no silicone that has activated charcoal in it.
I used to get an itchy scalp but don’t since i’ve been using charcoal shampoo.

My dh uses commercial shampoo with no SLS, silicone etc very very herbal and no conditioner and he no longer gets an itchy scalp (he has eczema)

It’s a matter of trail an error unfortunately.

SHAMPOO BARS
Many soapers make and use lye-based shampoo bars and lye-based liquid shampoo. Myself included. It's important to rinse thoroughly after shampooing, with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it. Follow up with a vinegar rinse to restore the acid mantle of the scalp.

When I first tried a shampoo bar in 2004 it took about a year for my hair to get used to it. I even went back to OTC shampoo a few times during that year. This is typical of other soapers' experience as well. Once my hair adjusted, I've used whatever bar that we happened to be test driving in the shower without any negative effects. I now make and use my own liquid shampoos and just love the results. I don't even need conditioner.

Read more about the benefits of Shampoo Bars on the Chagrin Valley Site. Links:

Why Use A Natural Shampoo Bar?

Everything About Shampoo Bars
... the biggest issue is that it needs to work for you and your family. You might have to try various things to find something that works for you
This is SO true! There is no "One-Size-Fits-All" when it comes to shampoo, so you have a bit of a learning period ahead of you. In the meantime, people have had success relieving an itchy scalp by shampooing with Polysorbate 80. Go to Post #20 on this thread for details:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars-again.64936/#post-664547PS-80

Also this one:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fun-with-polysorbate-80.69670/

Last edited:
My kids and I have the same problem. My daughter and I do not wash our hair every day. I think she washes hers once every three days with regular shampoo and conditioner. I wash mine every other day and only use conditioner every other washing (so maybe once a week). I use a syndet shampoo bar that I picked up on a trip to China last year. I love them. Not entirely sure what it is made up of - the soapmaker only knew English for cocobetaine, and my translator wasn't familiar with any of the words to translate for me. My conditioner is a leave-on argan oil base, I mostly use it at my ends (long hair) with a light hand application at my roots. My son insists he has to wash his hair every day, so after some trial and error, we finally found a squid ink shampoo and conditioner that has relieved his scalp issues. It is better for us in the summer too, but the winter is horrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes dandruf can be a sign of zinc deficiency, so adding a supplement or some pumpkin seeds for a few days might help.

We make our shampoo bars, and love them. Generally v low superfat and 20-25% castor helps make it easier to rinse out. I like teatree and lemon, which may also help if its a fungal thing.

My sons scalp gets worse than mine, so I rub a blend of coconut and castor oils with lemon, teatree, and basil essential oils into his scalp some nights.

Hope this helps, and that ye find something that works for ye. Itchy hair sux!

I’ve found great relief for itchy scalp with aloe vera. I’ve used gel (and fresh leaf) but imagine straight up juice, perhaps applied with fingertips to only coat the scalp, could be even better as there won’t be any residue.. it works immediately (for me, anyway)
Also I agree with the Gent that rhassoul/ghassoul marrocan soap clay is very gentle, for cleaning the hair and scalp. I add extras like neem powder or nettle and a bit of oil as well, even essential oils for helping the scalp to calm down/heal.
I used to have a lot of issues and thankfully now I’m much better! I had terrible results from washing my hair w soap, so please be aware this could be contributing to the problem. I now make ‘shampoo bars’ from surfactants and it’s made a world of difference. Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything :) & good luck!

Back