Syndet Shampoo Bar with Pine Tar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here . . .

Some family members have ongoing issues with dry, flaky scalp skin. I'm on a mission to find/create something that will help reduce the itching and flaking. I do not know the cause of the issues, which would probably help a bit, but have been reading and thinking.

My most recent thought is to try making a syndet shampoo bar with pine tar in it. There are commercial pine tar liquid shampoos, so could there not be a solid homemade bar with pine tar? Does anyone have experience with this? I've not seen this topic addressed on this forum. What percentage of pine tar should I try? Which ingredient would I reduce in order to add in the pine tar?

FYI: I have made syndet shampoo bars. I believe my recipe is based off of DeeAnna's in another thread.

25g sodium coco sulfate
30g SCI
20g cocamidopropyl betaine
10g cupuacu butter
8g BTMS-50
2g stearic acid
3.5g cetyl alcohol
0.5g preservative
0.1g FO

Thoughts, anyone?

Interesting challenge, Jasmine. I make Pine Tar Soap but I don't make syndets, so not much help there. However, Pine Tar soap has been discussed many times here. An easy way to find threads on any topic on SMF is to google the topic followed by "site:soapmakingforum.com". Like so:

pine tar, site:soapmakingforum.com

HTH (Hope This Helps)

There's no harm in trying this idea, but I suspect adding pine tar to a syndet bar shampoo will change the texture from a solid to a thick paste. IMO, it may be a lot easier to formulate a liquid syndet shampoo with pine tar.

It's difficult enough to make a syndet shampoo bar stay really solid with an absolute minimum of other liquidy ingredients, and you want to add a liquid ingredient that will never dry out. Even lye-based soap gets softer with the addition of pine tar to the recipe.

Thanks, ladies. My searches have yielded no results for pine tar in a syndet bar. I think I may go ahead and try it, keeping in mind, DeeAnna, your caution about the texture.

So far my syndets (albeit in fall, winter, spring only) have remained firm enough to satisfy me. I've not used them in the hot, humid summer yet.

My plan is to make a small trial bar today. I'll report back.

Done! It's in the freezer for a bit and then I'll take a peek at it.

I used a different recipe from the one above.

3g kokum butter
3g BTMS 50
3g stearic acid
28g SCI
33g sodium lauroyl sarcosinate
26g cocamidopropyl betaine
4g pine tar
2g dl-panthenol
0.8g liquid Germall Plus (was supposed to be 0.5g)
1g tea tree oil

I also used a Kiva silicone bag for melting the first 6 ingredients in boiling water.

And here's a pic. We'll see how it fares in the upcoming heat. Today is a beautiful 70-something with low humidity.

Attachments

• 20180606_170110.jpg
    20180606_170110.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to try a pine tar shampoo recipe... i've worked with SLSa before, not sodium lauroyl sarcosinate . Both are anionic surfactants.. both gentle. I'm not finding much else out there comparing the two but has anyone got any experience with subbing between them? I would like to try Jasmine's recipe here with the SLSa (since that's what I have). I have used SCI, SLSa only... well and cocamidopropyl betaine... never used sodium lauroyl sarcosinate.
Thank you for any suggestions!

Back