Setting up CP Soaps Inexpensively?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
Heyas,

So, I really want to start doing CP soap and I am trying to figure out how much it will start to get started. I know the ingredients that I need for a basic recipe, and some of the equipment I will need, but I am trying to figure out how much it would cost to get the rest of the things that I need to get myself started.

I have looked at some books, but have not bought one yet (any suggestions on good books is appreciated here as well), so I have some idea of what I would be good, but not what is necessary. I know that I need safety equipment for handling lye (gloves, glasses, and a container that is safe to mix the lye/water in).

Is a double boiler or something to replicate one a necessity for mixing oils? I have heard about people mixing things at room temperature, do I need a thermometer still if I am doing that? I am pretty sure I need the hand blender as I know I can't stir something for extended periods of time by hand. I need a larger mold also...

Are there other pieces of equipment that I am missing? I hope that I am not asking too much, or asking things that have been asked a dozen times before. Any help or suggestions for getting myself set up on a budget would be appreciated. Thank you all.

don't forget a scale... if I were you I would look for equipment on amazon.. they have some great deals.

I already have a scale that I am using for the MP soaps, it is small, but reasonable for now. My scale is good for 1000 grams and seems accurate. I have looked at a lot of sites for ingredients, and the prices are really not that horrible for some basic oils... (the essential oils I would eventually like to get are another matter lol). I talked to my partner some tonight about getting the stuff I will need and I might get at least part of it for Ostara (Easter more or less). So, that gives me some time to get everything I need together in a list and try to get prices for things. Wish me luck :lol:

I did buy some books, but rarely used them once I understood the basics. I started relying on groups like this because if I read something in the book the author is not there to answer my question if I don't understand it, but here I can get help from so many that I prefer this avenue. You might check your local library to see if they have any books. Or a site like Millers Soaps has a lot of info for beginners. I think I burned the image of that site into my monitor I was on it so much. She also has many recipes to help get you started and give you ideas. I got scale and stick blender at WalMart or Target, and went to Goodwill type stores for a lot of my other items, or looked around the kitchen for things I had that I didn't use and moved them into the soaping supply box. I use oils from the grocery store or WalMart as well. They may not be as good of a price, but I can get them when I need them, in a size I want. I tried the 35 lb box of oil from Sams/Costco once and found that I didn't use that one enough to keep it from going rancid. It was one that I discovered I didn't really like in my soaps AFTER I had 35 lbs of it.

I've read both "The Soapmaking Companion" by Susan Miller Cavitch and "The Everything Soapmaking Book" by Alicia Grosso. Both have useful info to get started, but like KFG said I've rarely used them after my first few batches. While I've never used the recipes in these books as written, I did use them as guides to fomulate my own recipes on soapcalc.net when I was starting out. Then I just changed things to reflect what I wanted from my soap as I progressed.
I don't use a double boiler, I just melt my hard oils in the microwave. I use a Rubbermaid pitcher to mix my lye water and I do use an infrared gun thermometer ($30 on sale with coupon at Harbor Freight) since I'm impatient and tend to soap hot if I don't check my temps :)
I have a few stick blenders as I tend to pick them up whenever I see them at yardsales/etc. My favorite is a thrift store purchase for $5...beats the heck out of the $30 one I bought new when I first started making soap!
For a cheap, easy way to get your feet wet in CP, you might try a 100% coconut oil soap. CO is readily available at most grocery stores/Walmart under the LouAna brand name. I usually get my lye at Ace Hardware (Rooto is the brand name...100% lye), but some stores have it locked up so you may have to ask for it and show ID.
This recipe is for a 2 lb batch with a superfat of 20% and it makes a really nice soap!
Distilled water - 344.73g
Lye - 132.99g
Coconut oil - 907.18g

I did not really spend alot on the equipment when I first start up. I got all my things from Daiso (not sure if there is such a shop over your side). Everything goes at $2. I got my mini beater (battery operated), whisk, pot (for double boiling), silicone mold, tupperware.

I got my stainless steel container at some hardware shops and it goes less then $5 or maybe $6.

I understand people want results fast, but i prefer to do manual so as to appreciate the the process. LOL

I did not really spend alot on the equipment when I first start up. I got all my things from Daiso (not sure if there is such a shop over your side). Everything goes at $2. I got my mini beater (battery operated), whisk, pot (for double boiling), silicone mold, tupperware.

Are you in Asia? I get my stuff from Daiso too! It's a little over $2 here but so much good stuff :)

Hi pinkadink, yes i am living in asia. The $2 i quote was in my local currency.. i love shopping at daison for supplies..

I was lucky and got my fancy supplies for Christmas from my family. Things to look for in your kitchen already that you can dedicate just to soap making include: a plastic drink pitcher for your lye (never use it again for drinks!), an rubber spatula, clean yogurt containers or margarine tubs for quick molds or those tupperware containers you never use because the lid is long gone...

Then I picked up a crockpot and box cheese shredder from Goodwill on a 50% off sale for making hot process soap or rebatch soap. I'm biased because I work for GW and the money earned from donations is what supports the program I work for(helping people with barriers to finding employment)...but I would rather see my money go there than the dollar store or Walmart on some of these soaping items! Jumping off my soap box now!

You will want a thermometer even if you soap at RT...otherwise how are you going to be sure your lye is cool enough?

To mix your lye if you don't have any pitchers go to lowes and get some plastic paint mixer containers. They are pretty thick and run around a buck or two. If you have a nook, pm me i have a couple books on mine i can lend you through their program " lend a book". I know it seems hard to wait, but get all you need, don't take shortcuts especially in the knowledge dept. Therometer make sure you get a good one, i have ruined many til i recently got a infra-red instant read one, paid about 25.00 on amazon.

To mix your lye if you don't have any pitchers go to lowes and get some plastic paint mixer containers. They are pretty thick and run around a buck or two. If you have a nook, pm me i have a couple books on mine i can lend you through their program " lend a book". I know it seems hard to wait, but get all you need, don't take shortcuts especially in the knowledge dept. Therometer make sure you get a good one, i have ruined many til i recently got a infra-red instant read one, paid about 25.00 on amazon.

I agree. Don't spend a lot of $$ on fancy schmancy bowls and containers. My go-to containers are HDPE quart containers from Lowe's ($1 each) for lye and a bucket ($2) for mixing everything together.

I do room-temp soaping and don't use thermometers. But I do have one that I can donate to a new soaper :)

You can really get started pretty inexpensively. Books from the library (where I live you can enter your library card number on the website, search the catalog and request items, they will hold them at the front desk for you), oils from the grocery store, basic equipment from your own kitchen, yard sales, thrift stores. A good reliable scale is a must, a thermometer is recommended. The hardware store has chemical-resistant gloves and goggles pretty cheap.

You do need a good sturdy pitcher for lye, heavy plastic is best. Do NOT use a wooden spoon. You don't need a double boiler, just put your hard oils in the microwave, then once they are melted add your soft oils.

For a beginner, I would not recommend essential oils or additives, simple is best the first time around. You can get everything you need without ordering online. An all coconut oil soap will be a very very hard, very cleansing soap, but some people find it very drying. I would say start with olive oil (I use sams club brand), coconut oil (luanna from walmart or the grocery store, NOT organic or virgin), grocery store lard if you are not opposed to using animal fats, and maybe a bit of castor oil (again, walmart or target or any pharmacy). I would stay away from shortenings and grocery store vegetable oils, some use them fine, others get DOS. Stick with simple. Cheap and great soap!

As for molds, the possibilities are endless. Pringles cans, pvc pipes, tupperware, silicone bakeware (great at thrift stores), a sturdy cardboard box!

As overwhelming as it all seems, and as easy as it is to spend a small fortune (ask my credit card), you really can get started on a budget. Welcome to the addiction... :)

eta: I forgot to mention a gallon bottle of DISTILLED water to mix your lye, and ALWAYS use plastic or stainless steel only!

Last edited:
I recently bought everything for making soap. I think I spent around $130. I had some gift cards left from Christmas so only $40 was out of pocket. I am sure that some of the items I could have gotten cheaper - but some of the gift cards was for a specific stores.

I thought these were pretty good deals:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OSUIYG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MYMSOI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VLHF1U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought 2 thermometers that I now don't even use. I like my battery operated scale but I am going to invest in one that has the plug in adaptor. I think Hazel posted that once, and I can see where that is a pretty good investment. I bought a lot of silicone molds that I don't even use now. I didn't' know about this forum at that time so I just bought what I thought I needed. Come to find out, I really didn't need 3/4's of the stuff I bought.

Rainwater is much cheaper than distilled water. Set out buckets when it rains and get all the water you need.

I am not crazy about bird poop, leaves, insects, or anything else in my water, and depending on where you live pollution could be a factor, too. For less than $1 a gallon I prefer to just buy distilled, but to each their own.

I got my Braun stick blender at the flea market for like $6. Its still going strong! Big stainless pot from there too. Some containers, like large measuring cups from the dollar store for weighing out oils and for doing different colors in. My start up was cheap, cheap. My scale came from Wal-Mart.

Latest posts

Back