Setting up CP Soaps Inexpensively?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, maybe there is a silver lining to the 6" of snow that fell overnight.

Yep! This has been my soaping liquid of choice! Scoop it into a bucket, bring it inside to melt or directly boil it on the stove if you are afraid of anything. I also filtered it through a coffee filter in the event there was any other foreign substances...

I have gotten nearly all my bowls and measuring cups at Goodwill, as well as a couple of CrockPots. I splurged on a mixer that has a detachable head, which makes it easier to wash. I also did not stint on the scale. The dollar store is great for a lot of other stuff.

Thank you all for the great advice. I plan to see if I can hit the local dollar store today and pick up some bowls and maybe a pitcher and some other odds and ends. I have a small, but reliable scale. I am actually not too worried about the ingredients themselves, I have found places online that are not terribly expensive and if I can get the money together for a large enough order and get free shipping, that would work out very well for me. How do pvc pipes work for making soap molds? I have heard them mentioned, but I can't really figure out how it is done.

TY! I have been worrying about the price of basic soapmaking set up. Funds are limited in my situation. So I'd rather not like to break the person that is funding my endeavor.

I have cleaned out some plastic cat litter tubs we got from Costco & BJ's wholesales. I plan on using them for storage & mixing once I get everything I need together.

Last edited:
I have quite the collection of recycled plastic food and drink containers, totally free to re purpose. I used a thermometer when I first started soaping, $4 glass candy thermometer. $60 for my scale but I had an old gift card and a coupon so it only cost me $6 (I love having a kitchen scale for things other than soaping too!). I use my cleaning gloves for soap, so no cost there. Scrounged an old pair of goggles from my colleges microbiology lab, so that was free. $2 coffee carafe from Goodwill for my lye. Assorted spoons and measures from my junk drawer that I never or very rarely ever used. I think that's all of my starter stuff and I'm still using most of it.

I'm a bad soaper who uses straight tap water with no ill effect ;-)

I have quite the collection of recycled plastic food and drink containers, totally free to re purpose. I used a thermometer when I first started soaping, $4 glass candy thermometer. $60 for my scale but I had an old gift card and a coupon so it only cost me $6 (I love having a kitchen scale for things other than soaping too!). I use my cleaning gloves for soap, so no cost there. Scrounged an old pair of goggles from my colleges microbiology lab, so that was free. $2 coffee carafe from Goodwill for my lye. Assorted spoons and measures from my junk drawer that I never or very rarely ever used. I think that's all of my starter stuff and I'm still using most of it.

:shock:
I have an old stainless steel coffee carafe that I can use for my lye! TY! I would not have thought about it.

I pretty much endorse what has been said already. Start with stuff from thrift or dollar stores - it "might" be (shudder) that soaping isn't for you and then you haven't laid out a lot of money. You've already identified safety equipment and an accurate scale as priorities and I agree.

I like Alicia Grosso's Everything Soap Book - it's comprehensive and up to date.

BTW, I don't use a thermometer much any more. I touch the side of my containers and if they feel warm to the touch but not uncomfortably so, I'm good to go. However, as a beginner, they are useful. I use a laser point and shoot one occasionally - it won't break and it's fast. Harbor Freight carries them as does Amazon.

Thank you for all the useful information! I just got back from a couple local dollar stores. I spent less then $20 and got measuring cups and spoons, a pitcher for lye, some mixing bowls that I can use in the microwave for oils, some other bowls for weighing things out, a stainless steel spoon for stirring, a spatula, and some lined latex gloves. I still need the thermometer, goggles, stick blender, and some things to use as molds. I am starting to think this will be doable!

LOL you are not a bad soaper for using tap water. If yours is fine, that's great, but many many places have hard water (like me) and it doesn't work out so well.

One thing I do have to say, tho, is that I strongly recommend using only plastic or stainless steel for lye. Glass can and will etch over time from the lye and can become extremely dangerous. 99 times it may be fine, then the 100th time it can suddenly explode. I know there are soapers that will say "Oh I never have a problem with pyrex/glass" but it only takes one time. Why chance it? JM2C

I use a crockpot to melt my oils and mix in. I just keep it on low. Found it at a thrift shop for $5 since I didn't want to put big bucks into something I couldn't use for anything else. My husband made my mold for less than $30. I did overpay for my lye though. I went to the hardware store since I wanted to start that very day. I don't know if it makes a good soap or not, but the book I've been reading has quite a few recipes using vegetable shortening which could be less expensive than using palm oils or the like to begin with.

Just saw that I was missing 2 pages of posts. Sorry!

Thermometers: I got at Walmart for less than $2 a piece. My stick blender was also a thrift store find. Bowls and such, like you, I picked up at the dollar store.

I did initially spend money on an enamel pot, but I was afraid my stick blender would scratch it and there might be fumes or something. I'm still a little afraid of the whole process at times.

Last edited:
I can understand being afraid of the process. I have not tried making CP soap, and I am kind of nervous about it. I think it would be unhealthy to not be a little nervous about it, if you aren't, I feel it is more likely to be careless. Carelessness and caustic materials are not a good combination. Just my thoughts.

LOL you are not a bad soaper for using tap water. If yours is fine, that's great, but many many places have hard water (like me) and it doesn't work out so well.

One thing I do have to say, tho, is that I strongly recommend using only plastic or stainless steel for lye. Glass can and will etch over time from the lye and can become extremely dangerous. 99 times it may be fine, then the 100th time it can suddenly explode. I know there are soapers that will say "Oh I never have a problem with pyrex/glass" but it only takes one time. Why chance it? JM2C

I still get some ash with tap water, but I also get it when I use distilled. I figure there's enough sources for mineral impurities going into my soap pot from the oils themselves to traces of leftover dish soap to really stress over my water. Like you said, works well enough for me, YMMV.

As far as using glass to mix my lye...I always mix in the sink and leave it there until ready to pour. One of the most important steps I invested a lot of thought in when I was brand new to soaping was how to clean up any mess I made. Really paid off recently when I dropped a glass jar of honey that shattered on the counter before landing on the floor and got all over some used soap utensils that were still wet. Raw soap + broken glass, BTDT :mrgreen: Stainless lye pot? That'll be a future upgrade.

I do want to add ask your fish market if they have of the containers fish come in mine come in plastic mostly hdpe or up and I know we throw a lot out if we can't find a use for them like this it's my take home for the day always need a new one every now and again lol

image.jpg

An all coconut oil soap will be a very very hard, very cleansing soap, but some people find it very drying.

I actually got the recipe I mentioned on this forum a few years ago and LOVE it...not drying at all, thanks to the high superfat! This is my "go-to" recipe for very delicate FO's as I've found they tend to stick better in this simple recipe.
I was terrified of the lye when I made my first few batches of cp soap! Once I got my first lye burn, I calmed down...yeah, it hurts, but not as bad as I thought it would be!
My main concern now is clean-up...I wipe down the sink, counters and floors with vinegar to keep my family and pets from coming into contact with any random lye particles.

Cheap and yummy mold Pringles can. Two uses in one. Eat them then use can for soap. I have never lined mine and not have had a problem. I still have 12 cans to use then i will need more pro molds. I just use household bowls they wash clean. Only my lye pitcher and spoon are kept seprate. All the rest I use for cooking. Remember you are making soap it washes clean after being poured from containers.

Your most expensive item will be the scale. Everything else can be found without alot of money.

I actually got a scale rather inexpensively at Amazon. I need a stick blender just cause I can't stir for long periods of time. I am getting there, slowly. Just want it NOW!

Walmart's srick blender works great for soap and is cheap. I have had mine now for 4 years. Bt I do not soap often. I lost the first one to burn out but kept the wand part. Now I just use that wand for soap and the other for food. It gets a bit more use now that is for sure and still going strong.

Walmart's srick blender works great for soap and is cheap. I have had mine now for 4 years. Bt I do not soap often. I lost the first one to burn out but kept the wand part. Now I just use that wand for soap and the other for food. It gets a bit more use now that is for sure and still going strong.

The biggest complaint I've heard about the HB is it causes bubbles. I've had no problem with bubbles using the lower speed. I get a small amount of tiny surface bubbles, but a quick stir on the very surface with the edge of the blender bell while it isnt running pops them right off.

I have not had any problems with bubbles UNLESS I bring head up to top level of soap. I only do 1 pound batches.

One tip you should not run HB the whole time but in short bursts then mix with it off. This prevents HB from over heating and burning out.

Latest posts

Back