Second batch of cp soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
I started working on liquid dish soap (my second liquid soap), and while that was cooking in the crock pot I decided what the heck. I already had my equipment out and gloves on, might as well make a second batch of bar soap as well.

The dish soap isn't ready to be photographed, though. lol

Anyways, this is olive oil, soybean oil, coconut oil, and castor oil. It has citric acid (with a lye increase to balance it) and sugar, and is superfatted at 6%. I split off about 1/3 to color with a bit of cocoa powder, and the rest was colored with oil-soluble TD. Did a rough in-the-pot swirl (meaning I just let me dropping the cocoa mix into the pot do the swirling), though after pouring the first loaf and the stars, it was mostly just the white left. So when I did the smaller loaf, that ended up being mostly a spoon swirl instead.

Sorry for how rough the image is. I was just quickly taking a pic before I shoved the tray into the oven (off) to set up. It'll be interesting to see how the colors turn out. The white areas are pretty yellowish from the olive oil (extra virgin, because that's the only organic I could find), and the brown was lighter than I'd want, but I was afraid of putting too much cocoa in.

001_zpsfbaa9842.jpg

The swirl looks good. Cut pics please! The brown might not be as dark as you hoped but bet it looks lovely. From the pic it looks like caramel vanilla swirl *drools*

The swirl looks good. Cut pics please! The brown might not be as dark as you hoped but bet it looks lovely. From the pic it looks like caramel vanilla swirl *drools*

lol I'll be sure to take them and add them once I cut it! I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it's ready to cut. It's pretty cold here, and it's unlikely to gel. The oven was unheated (it's broken), so it's just acting as a protective, insulated place.

Your soap looks very nice, but I really wonder what you are trying to accomplish by adding in citric acid then increasing lye? Just curious

The citric acid reacts with the lye to form sodium citrate, which is a chelating agent that can help with hard water. The (storebought) soap I have in the shower has citric acid in it too for the same reason.

The citric acid reacts with the lye to form sodium citrate, which is a chelating agent that can help with hard water. The (storebought) soap I have in the shower has citric acid in it too for the same reason.[/QUOTE]

Thankyou for the information, gives me something else to think about and play with!

You're welcome! :) My water is bad enough that I really need the help! And the added math and steps don't bother me. I'm used to being a rebel and going complicated early!

lol I'll be sure to take them and add them once I cut it! I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it's ready to cut. It's pretty cold here, and it's unlikely to gel. The oven was unheated (it's broken), so it's just acting as a protective, insulated place.

Just a thought concerning the oven. If you have a light inside leave it on and it will generate some heat.

The citric acid reacts with the lye to form sodium citrate, which is a chelating agent that can help with hard water. The (storebought) soap I have in the shower has citric acid in it too for the same reason.

Ah, good to know! I might try that next go round.

Looking forward to the finished product.

Finally unmolded, a week and a half after I made the soap. At least, I unmolded most of it. The stars are proving troublesome, because I had to stick the soap in the freezer to get it hard enough to unmold, and they're so small that they thaw too much too quickly before I can get them all out.

And I'm so sad at the way the cocoa accent has faded.

These are still VERY soft. Very very soft.

002_zps27a3c323.jpg

004_zpsedf2ab28.jpg

They look lovely and smooth. Im sorry the cocoa didn't hold, but the color is pleasing.

And here's a more true-to-life color pic. I couldn't wait any longer, so I cut into the smaller loaf... Got DDM. Whoops. Oh well. LOL Gonna wait a little longer to cut the big loaf.

The color shows up a bit more in the swirls on the inside (hard to tell if it's partial gel or not). I wonder if I used enough cocoa powder? Or the right one? I used 600g oils, and split off roughly a third for the cocoa swirl, which got 1/4 tsp natural cocoa powder. I figured the natural would mix better into the batter, and that the alkaline nature of the batter would darken the powder. Natural is also a LOT cheaper here than my precious dutch. Heh

001_zps6211a24a.jpg

Okay, it looked like the top of the big loaf was starting to get DOS, so I had to cut into it for the "health" of the loaf, so it would have a lot more surface area to dry out with. Got some pretty bad DDM, but was expecting that. Not repeating this recipe again. Heh. I checked the stars and the slices from the smaller loaf show no signs of it.

On the other hand, I love how the ITP swirl came out!

001_zpsb136c1b3.jpg

002_zps2644204b.jpg

003_zpsc29d3846.jpg

004_zps8d991537.jpg

005_zpse9f593a3.jpg

the swirls look good! are u sure it was dos? so soon? hmmm... or maybe one of your oils was off to begin with? the orange dots look abit strange to me..

nyways, the rest of the soap look yummy...

what happen with the liquid soap?

Your swirls turned out really nice! I never get tired of ITP swirls & drop swirls. I love the randomness and the surprise when you cut it. Great job!!

seven--I'm not entirely sure. They don't smell the way DOS is supposed to, but they're bright orange and I can't think of what else it could be! And I do have a significant portion of soy in there, which is supposed to be prone to DOS. I haven't checked on the liquid soap in a week or so... Last time I did it had gone opaque on me, which was odd (I wasn't using oils prone to going opaque). I've been leaving it alone because I'm not ready to use it yet. Heh.

PinkCupcake-- Thanks! I was hoping they'd turn out well, but I wasn't sure because I didn't swirl them around in the pot the way I'd seen on all of the tutorials. I think this allowed the colors to be a bit more distinct... Either way, I'm definitely going to repeat the technique at some point!

It looks really cool the way there's sort of an even light-coloured border all the way around the edge of the whole soap. That's a really cool effect, whatever you did! :)

Edit: Some soaps will colour-morph from the outside in (like for example banana soap), but then the border effect is usually darker than the middle and it goes away as the soap is exposed to air. This is the first time I've seen the border colour be so light!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it happened either! I was a bit disappointed when I unmolded it, thinking that the cocoa-colored parts would have all lightened to the same amount that the outside had. I wonder if it's a cocoa thing, or if it varies depending on the pH of the cocoa? (Since this is natural which is acidic, where as dutch is alkaline...)

Those orange dots... Could you have splattered some colour from something else onto the soap by accident? Were you working with anything that colour nearby the soaps? They don't look at all DOS-ish to me. Could they be little pieces of calendula petals or soap crumbs the soap may have picked up by being put on a surface where there was anything that could have gotten stuck to it? Is it just the very end piece that has those dots?

Back