Seaweed Soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use seaweed soap?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for or experience with Seaweed soap? Does it have health benefits? Ideas? Or Impressions? I would be very interested in heard some feedback - Thank You!

I make seaweed soap, but don't make any claims. You can't, unless you have deep enough pockets like the big manufacturers do for some expensive testing.

I LOVE seaweed soaps!

If you state that your soap has health benefits, your soap is no longer soap, it is a drug.

Take a look here:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... php?t=4212

It will look like mumbo-jumbo at first, but it will begin to make sense once you have read it over a few times.

Some claims make your soap a cosmetic, some make it a drug. It's up to you to know the difference and it's all pretty grey to boot.

I used some kelp powder in a small batch and it stunk! Luckily, the smell faded after about 2 to 3 months and then all I could smell was the FO. I don't know how beneficial kelp is but it did provide a slight exfoliation.

Ok - Thanks

This is why it is so good to talk to people. - I hadn't thought about the legalities - I am in Canada - Where do I go to look up the legalities?

I'll be moving to Alberta later this year and we have a few Canadian members (so there's lots of info, and the laws are different from the US), check out the Canadian Guild of Bath & Body Crafters on facebook. Be prepared to spend at least 1 solid year from now perfecting and testing recipes, getting insurance, etc.

i do a seaweed soap.
hazel- you had some stick? i thought i would because of the way seaweed smells when its breaking down on the shore but i didnt.

maya said:
i do a seaweed soap.
hazel- you had some stick? i thought i would because of the way seaweed smells when its breaking down on the shore but i didnt.

maya -

IMO, Kelp powder has an unpleasant scent but other people might like it. What does yours smell like?

paillo said:
Tabitha said:

pretty! i've used kelp powder in soap, but would like to try some real seaweed (next time i get to the shore i'll have to bring some home). mine didn't stink, but then i didn't use much. i think i would like the real seaweed for the salt it provides --or better yet, i think i'd put it in a salt batch!

couldn't you get some of the seaweed wrap stuff they use for sushi from the store instead and grind it up? lol

our food co-op store sells it. i almost bought some last week.

Hazel said:
maya said:
i do a seaweed soap.

maya -

IMO, Kelp powder has an unpleasant scent but other people might like it. What does yours smell like?

salt water. i guess it did smell. just not as intensely as i thought it would.

pretty! i've used kelp powder in soap, but would like to try some real seaweed (next time i get to the shore i'll have to bring some home). mine didn't stink, but then i didn't use much. i think i would like the real seaweed for the salt it provides --or better yet, i think i'd put it in a salt batch!

couldn't you get some of the seaweed wrap stuff they use for sushi from the store instead and grind it up? lol

our food co-op store sells it. i almost bought some last week.[/quote]

actually, i've been meaning to try just soaking some nori, then cutting it into strips and using it :)

Don't... Really, don't. It's the only batch I had to toss so far. Smelled sickening; like rubbing a dead fish on your body :p

seaweed that is washed up on shore is not great to use , reason being that is "dead" seaweed. certain time of the year the ocean "cleans itself" and it washes to shore by the ton .

made a "seaweed soap" two days ago and it came out great. no bad smell and looks great.

Latest posts

Back