Sea water soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still wondering why anyone would want to put sand in soap in the first place if they're actually going to use the soap.

I've had the same questions! It seemed like it would create a real mess all around, but I've seen a few "sand in soap" photos lately (ironically I'm in the midst of concocting a beach-themed soap for a gift) and have been drawn to the visual effect. Since some people put pumice stone in soaps (again, not something I've personally tried), I wondered if sand was a similar concept but kept coming back to the fact it would get into everything, including one's nether region, and that's been confirmed by more than one on this thread. So, um, I'll pass!

I have made a sand soap before, and found it really good at removing dirt (after gardening) from my hands. To be fair it's not something I would ever want to use in the shower :)

I've had the same questions! It seemed like it would create a real mess all around, but I've seen a few "sand in soap" photos lately (ironically I'm in the midst of concocting a beach-themed soap for a gift) and have been drawn to the visual effect. Since some people put pumice stone in soaps (again, not something I've personally tried), I wondered if sand was a similar concept but kept coming back to the fact it would get into everything, including one's nether region, and that's been confirmed by more than one on this thread. So, um, I'll pass!

I get pumice in soap. It's not as hard a rock as much of the sediments that make up sand. Would you really want fine to coarse grains of quartz "caressing" you in the shower? I'm not saying pumice would be a better shower soap as I'd leave it for feet. :mrgreen:

Well, since there's no fish & chips for me, no opinions for you, lol! I sooo love good fish & chips......

I actually saw something just like this a couple of years ago but for the life of me I can't remember where. You Tube? Someone's blog? Here? All I can remember is it turned out very cool looking and the process they used worked out well. They did the same thing you plan to do ~ gathered seaweed, sea water and sand then made the soap.

I guess it's a good thing you withheld the fish & chips since I gave you no valuable info whatsoever.....:shifty:

If memory serves me well, Ariane Arsenault made a seaweed soap.

Back