Scents mixing in the curing rack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsForrest

Reaction score
Have you noticed scents mixing between bar/batches in your curing racks?

This morning I picked a bar of unscented, uncolored soap out of my rack for my own use. As I imagine most of us do, when I pick up a bar of soap, it goes straight to the nose. Lo and behold, the bar smells like the batch of peppermint soap I made last week.

I guess I'll have to pay attention to giving the strongly scented batches a bit of extra air space. Or maybe I need to make some sort of barriers between batches to maybe control which way the air circulates through the rack.

I think some scents tend to "stick" to things better. Mint is definitely one of those! i like to store my soaps in produce flats (I get a bunch of the same kind from Costco so they stack) or soda flats - one scent per flat.

I have one soap in a completely different room than my other ones. Mostly because I thought the smell was insanely overpowering (think I could smell it downstairs when it was upstairs in a closed room, of course my husband couldn't smell it until he out his nose almost on the bar) but also because I could tell it was starting to transfer to other things.

I don't have a ton of experience with FO's but it seems like some will transfer based on proximity.

I do the same as dixiedragon.....though I keep two like scents together. I use the Raspberry flats when my selves are full and they hold exactly 2 batches of my soap (16 bars each). I like them as they stack well. Then when totally cured I move them to baseball card boxes and each scent gets their own.

Latest posts

Back