Scenting Lip Balms w/EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egirlxx7

Reaction score
Is it ok to use some essential oils to scent lip balms?

Has anyone done this before?

if so which ones are great.

I've only used flavor oils for lip balms, though I've seen several recipes online for using EO's. I've wondered, myself. ;)

I've used a very small amount of peppermint oil EO with my cocoa-mint lip balm. There is cocoa butter in the recipe, so a little peppermint EO makes a nice compliment to the slight chocolate smell to it. It's 10 drops of peppermint EO to 1.30 ounces of oils/beeswax.

Thanks everyone, I was also leaning towards peppermint, I think I will give that a trh.

There are quite a few EOs that are safe for lip balms: Sweet Orange, Cinnamon, Spearmint/Peppermint, Ginger, Grapefruit, Geranium, Anise, Lavender, Lemongrass...just to name a few. If its used in food, it is usually safe for lip balm. The trick is in the percentage used - 0.5% to 1% of your base is usually fine. I have used all of the above with no issues. Some people are just more sensitive to EOs like the mints or Cinnamon, and some of the Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity so keep that in mind when figuring your proportions.

Aside from the photosensitivity and possible irritation issues, make sure that your EOs are lip safe. Brambleberry carries some and I believe that most of the Scent Works' EOs are FCC grade.

Back