Scent recs for charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servant4Christ

Reaction score
I'm not very smell experienced yet so I need recs for scents to put in charcoal soap. Preferably masculine or unisex, but not cologne-like.

I've considered @Zing's spring clean blend, but hadn't really considered lavender. Thanks

I'm making a list of potentials to buy samples of this weekend. Please keep the recs coming.

Last edited:
Charcoal scented with tea tree EO was all the rage for quite some time with the teen group - all claiming that it "cured" their acne.

I'm not a yuge fan of tea tree by itself, but I tolerate it well enough when mixed with lemon and lavender, or with mint.

You might also check out the Gentleman's Lavender blend on EOCalc.com. That was a huge hit with the manly men in my family.

Tea tree has grown on me, and I use 1 part tea tree to 2 parts litsea (or lemongrass if that is what you have) for charcoal soaps. Otherwise I also like peppermint with lavender, and basti's suggestion of green tea is good - blended with ginger!

ETA: I am referring to ginger FO, blended with green tea FO here. Green tea fragrances tend to not accelerate, so it is a good pairing with ginger FOs - many of them accelerate too. I've never used ginger EO, so take @AliOop's advice on that one!

Last edited:
basti's suggestion of green tea is good - blended with ginger!
Ginger is a serious accelerator for me, so it only gets used in one color soaps that are ok being "rustic." ;)

And thanks @AliOop , i hadn't seen that blend. Bookmarked.
I hope you like it! It was pretty popular with everyone, now that I think about it - not just the guys.

I cannot remember what tea tree smells like. It's been that long (over a decade) since I've used it for anything. How does it smell compared to eucalyptus or peppermint EO? I can handle peppermint in small doses, but can't stand the medicinal smell of eucalyptus.

I was excited about gentleman's lavender, but I think that's going to have to wait. Please forgive my ignorance, but why is clary sage so much more expensive than the others in this blend?

If you don't know what tea tree smells like, I would say don't buy it until you are sure you know you like it. It's not for everyone and there are lots of other options. I guess I would describe it as medicinal, but not in the camphoraceous way of eucalyptus.

@Zing Do you use cedarwood or cedarwood atlas in your spring clean blend? I really want to try that soon. Same question for the cedarwood/bergamot blend? Which cedarwood? I don't know the difference, other than there are two varieties at Brambleberry. 😂

@Zing Do you use cedarwood or cedarwood atlas in your spring clean blend? I really want to try that soon. Same question for the cedarwood/bergamot blend? Which cedarwood? I don't know the difference, other than there are two varieties at Brambleberry. 😂
Cedarwood virginian, the only cedarwood I use.
The scent of tea tree is "related" to eucalyptus, medicinal. It is not at all close to peppermint. Can you buy a little sample jar like from Whole Foods? Also, eocalc.com has never let me down.

I picked up a small bottle of tea tree today at Walmart. I have no idea the quality, but wanted to smell it. I remember this smell! It's not my favorite, but I'll take it over eucalyptus any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Latest posts

Back