Scent in laundry soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
If you used a fragranced bar for your laundry soap, will the scent stay in your clothes?

I would love to make my own laundry soap, but I looove that the scent stays in my clothes so well from using Tide, plus my fabric softener, and dryer sheet.

I've found that it really doesn't scent my clothes. In my last batch I used a pretty strong-smelling pine bar that I made for last Christmas, and I don't detect any pine in my clean laundry. I will sometimes put a few drops of essential oil into the laundry soap mix. It just makes the laundry soap smell nice, and makes laundry day a little more pleasant, but my clothes just smell "clean." I thought I would miss the scent of a commercial product, but it turns out that I really like the naturally clean smell of freshly washed clothing better! I think because I always use vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser (keeps the washer clean and cuts soap film from fabrics), it would dispell any artificial scent anyway. (No, your laundry will not smell like vinegar.) I'm using the pine soap to wash floors tomorrow, and I'm actually looking forward to the chore!

I use towels to clean my soaping equipment and let them set for a few days before washing - so I usually have a batch of towels with all kinds of scented soap when they go in - they all come out smelling clean and not like any 1 scent or a mix of all the scents.

I use a "Fresh Linen" FO in my laundry soap and it sticks around in clothes and sheets pretty well... for a while anyway. I have tried more citrusy scents and they are nice for about a day and then they disappear.

Back