Sapwn's Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwn

Reaction score
Thank you Hazel and AngelMomma!

Thank you Relle for your comments.
I post here some picks of the unwrapped soaps.

DSC00577.jpg

The reason I wrapped many of them is that I don’t have enough space to store them unwrapped. Wrapping them helps me store them better.

Since I made a lot of bars, there will be plenty of time for curing and maturing.

Here you see Marseille soap in the front, Aleppo soaps in the Middle, and Rosemary soaps in the end.

DSC00578.jpg

While here you see olive oil soaps. The first ones are 70% olive pomace oil and palm or coconut oil, and the last ones in the end are 100% extra virgin olive oil soaps.

DSC00579.jpg

The three dark soap bars are the Sulphur soaps. These last ones are a total failure. They turned from yellow to brown-black after one day of trace formation and since then they seem to have stop the saponification progress. I cannot understand why :shifty:

I saw that some moderator moved the above post here starting this thread.

Excuse me for posting it initially in the wrong place :-|

I will continue to present my soaps here. Any comment is welcome.

Note that these are my first attempts and that all the recipes are practically an experiment.

Unrefined Cocoa butter

Unrefined Shea butter

Castor oil

Superfat: 5%

Gardenia FO

Curing time: 1 month

DSC00580.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

This is a very hard bar. It smells something between cocoa and gardenia. The do not combine well together. I thought that the cocoa scent will go away after reacting with NaOH but it is still present. It must be the superfat that kept the cocoa scent.

The lather is not great. However, it cleaned very decently my hands.

It's okay about posting in the wrong section. People do it all the time. :grin:

Note that these are my first attempts and that all the recipes are practically an experiment.

Unrefined Cocoa butter
Unrefined Shea butter
Castor oil
Superfat: 5%
Gardenia FO
Curing time: 1 month

Nice soap! Please correct me if I'm wrong but the way you posted the above recipe makes me think you only used butters and castor oil for your soap. Is this what you did?

As for the soap, can you take up close pics of the ones you're having problems? Detailed pics and the recipes you used may be able to help us troubleshoot the batches.

Nice soap! Please correct me if I'm wrong but the way you posted the above recipe makes me think you only used butters and castor oil for your soap. Is this what you did?

As for the soap, can you take up close pics of the ones you're having problems? Detailed pics and the recipes you used may be able to help us troubleshoot the batches.

Yes. This is a two butters and one oil soap.
Didn't know if it could work. I was just experimenting the while thing.

These are closer pics.

One side:

DSC00582.jpg

And the other:

DSC00583.jpg

And this is the lather I get. It is not the best, however, it is better than the lather of an olive oil soap. And it really cleans well.
It also leaves the skin smooth after washing the hands.

DSC00584.jpg

The lather looks very creamy which is consistent with an all butter/castor soap. Have you seen the info about Zen Soaps' single oil experiment? You might find it useful to read what the different oils turned out like. http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

What did you want the lather to be like? Did you want more bubbles and cleansing? If so, I'd suggest adding some coconut or palm kernel oil to the recipe. However, you'd also want to add a conditioning oil to offset the dryness from the coconut.

Which batch was it that you said appeared to stop saponifying and which batch turned a dark color?

Have you seen the info about Zen Soaps' single oil experiment? You might find it useful to read what the different oils turned out like. http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

Yes, I have seen this site and I found it very useful to understand the characteristics that each oil can give to the soap.

Thank you for reminding it, I will check it again.

What did you want the lather to be like? Did you want more bubbles and cleansing?

I made it to see myself how it is. I cannot say that I am satisfied with this kind of lather. I would prefer it with many many more bubbles. However, it is cleansing enough.

Which batch was it that you said appeared to stop saponifying and which batch turned a dark color?

Thank you for asking! This is my greatest failure!

I am really disappointed because I love sulphur soaps and it seems that I am not able to make one. I have made some excellent melt&pour soaps with sulphur, but I cannot make a real one.

Since sulphur is a salt, I thought it would be the same process as making a salt bar.

So I followed a recipe with 1/3 coconut oil, 1/3 palm oil and 1/3 canola oil.

After trace formation I added 10% sulphur. At the beginning it was nice and yellow as it should be, but after an hour it turned dark brown. After two days it was still very difficult to take it out of the silicon molds. This would never have happened if no sulphur was added in the recipe. I did other soaps with the same oil and they were hard enough to take them out of the mold just 5-6 hours after trace.

After 3 weeks of curing they are still dark brown and very soft. Note in the pictures how easy it is to destroy them with one figure.

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

I consider these soaps failed and I am keeping them only to see how they change with time.

The problem is that I have not understand yet what went wrong.

I repeated the whole process again, and the result was the same. I through them away.

I really don’t know how to make a sulphur soap and I desperately want to do it since sulphur soaps were always my favorites. They deep clean my face as no one else does.

Any suggestions?????

I've never used sulfur so I had to do some digging. These discussions may help you.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f34/sulfur-soap-32787/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/sulfur-soap-6539/
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f11/soap-mushy-sulfur-walnut-13407/

If the softness of your soap isn't due to an incorrect amount of lye, you might want to consider making the recipe without the sulfur to make sure the problem isn't with the recipe. If the soap firms up, then I'd suggest rebatching to add the sulfur. I don't know why it turned dark unless it had something to do with the sulfur causing discoloration. I will check around to see if I can find any more info on sulfur. I'll post the info if I find something.

Hopefully, someone will be able to give an answer. You may have to be a little patient for a response.

Thank you for helping Hazel.

And yes, the recipe was correct and the amount of lye as well. I repeated the procedure without sulphur and the soaps were excellent.

Note that i can only do the cold process and maybe the solution in this is the hot process. Hope not :cry:

I had read two of the three threads you suggest Hazel.

The one that I see now for the first time suggest to add sulphur within the oils and let them cool before adding the water with the lye.

This is something I never tried.

So I did it right away.

18gr Canol oil

18g Coconut oil

24g Palm kernel oil

7g sulpur

23gr water

10g NaOH

0% superfat

It appears to have the right color.

Let’s see how it changes until tomorrow morning.

DSC00591.jpg

I don't feel like I really helped since I couldn't offer an answer other than directing you to other discussions. Good luck! I hope it works. :thumbup:

Failed again!

This is 5 minutes after trace:

DSC00592.jpg

This is one hour after:

DSC00593.jpg

And this is 8 hours after. Changed completely to dark brown. Somehow, the lye reacts with sulphur and the soap changes completely.

DSC00594.jpg

I don’t know if there is any way to make a sulphur soap with CP :-?

Honestly, from what I'm finding out about sulfur soap making (and I'm not finding much, by the way) --

I am not certain you can successfully make a CP soap with sulfur.

Sulfur and water react to form sulfuric acid and hydrogen sulfide. The hydrogen sulfide will stink. Sulfuric acid is a strong acid. It will react with the lye and break down the oils, so I believe it is the acid that is making your soap too soft and very dark.

I would recommend that you rebatch one of your nice CP soaps and add the sulfur to the rebatch. Or make a hot process soap and add sulfur after the cook.

Okay, I just stumbled upon this work done by a fellow in Portugal to make sulfur soap. His report may answer a lot of our questions, although I have not read it carefully. Here is a link:

http://www.japudo.com.br/en/2013/04/30/sulfur-soap-a-trial/

Enjoy!

Edit: I stand corrected -- Robert Akira is from Brazil, not Portugal.

Last edited:
Thank you very much DeeAnna for your useful comments.

As I was losing any hope of making this soap with CP I tried today morning a HP with palm kernel oil, coconut oil and canola oil and added the sulphur after cooking and before placing it to the mold.

The soap became immediately dark brown when I added the sulphur:

DSC00595.jpg

But after a couple of hours it changed to yellow, as industrial sulphur soaps are:

DSC00596.jpg

And after 7 hours it is yellow. The brown one is the CP sulphur soap that I tried to do yesterday.

DSC00597.jpg

I will leave this to cure for a couple of days and then I will try it.

And now I am going to read the site you gave me.

Thank you very much!!!

Last edited:
I think you are moving in the right direction with adding sulfur to HP soap. It is good that your HP soap is the right color and not too soft. Bravo!

I think it is amazing how the color darkened so dramatically, then changed back to a light yellow. Wow. :shock:

I couldn’t wait 2 two days to cure.

After 24 hours it appears like this:

DSC00598.jpg

It is not even yellow any more. A pale beige / white would say.

I used it to clean my face and it did fine.

The lather is acceptable. Creamy and effective.

DSC00599.jpg

I think I finally made real sulphur soap.

Now I need to improve the recipe and the cooking method.

Thank you all for your help!

Another soap presentation.

This one is a single acid soap. 100% stearic acid soap and Marseille FO witch I really like.

Made about a month ago. Superfat at 5%.

Rich lather. I think I like this stearic acid a lot!

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

Hi Sapwn,
I have been reading your Sulphur Soap posts with interest. I am delighted that you seem to have solved the problem you were having.
Please excuse my ignorance but I was just wondering what the benefits of sulphur are in CP soaps?
Thanks Kerry

Latest posts

Back