Sapwn's Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Soapart. Thank you for the comment.

Sulphur soap was one of the many things I was advised to use by a dermatologist when I was a teenager and had a face full of acne. The soap, combined which the rest of the treatment helped me a lot to depress my acne. Since then I always use it once a week or once every two weeks.

I have noticed that it helps me to regulate my oily face skin and that it reduces my dermatitis seborrheic. When I feel that the dermatitis seborrheic returns I use the soap daily and it really helps me a lot.

This soap has deep cleansing properties and I don’t think that it would be beneficial for any type of skin. But in my case it is really good.

Am I right that a 100% stearic acid soap will not produce any glycerin at all?

A soap will not contain any glycerine if the soap has been made only from pure stearic acid. Pure stearic acid is a fatty acid, not a triacylglyceride. A triacylglyceride (aka triglyceride) is what you need to make soap that contains glycerin. This is a specific type of fat that is made (speaking loosely) of 3 fatty acids fastened to a glycerin backbone.

Last edited:
A failed weekend

Three batches of soap, three miserable failures :thumbdown:.

The first batch is the shampoo bar. Made with HP and having difficulties to harden from the beginning. Two days after it remains a very soft bar. Unacceptable for hot process. I cannot understand what went wrong. I am thinking to through it away and make another batch with CP this time.

DSC00632.jpg

These two bars are made with tallow. 100% tallow the one in the north, 70% tallow plus 30% coconut the one in the south. Cold process both.

The color was white one day after as you see in the pic:

DSC00626.jpg

But 48 hours after they both turned light brown :

DSC00631.jpg

Are they already rancid, or this is the color from the 5% cocoa butter at trace?

For your tallow bars, I think the color is from the cocoa butter.

The north one has a partial gel, that is the oval shaped spot in the middle. It is perfectly fine, just what you are seeing. That is not rancidity.

The white powdery parts on the edges look like they could be soda ash, which can be washed off, scraped off, steamed off, rubbed off with some alcohol, or dipped into a salt bath and wiped off. The soap is still fine, not rancid, that is just ash and easily removed. It will not hurt the soap.

Then again, it could also be where the cocoa butter may not have blended into those parts fully, now that I look at it again and see it around the partial gel ring. Still it is not a problem.

Thank you very much for the comments Mel!!!

I am happy to hear they are fine. They must cure now for at least 4 weeks before using one of them.

Butter Soap

30% Unrefined Shea Butter
30% Unrefined Cocoa Butter
20% Mango Butter
20% Coconut Oil

5% Superfat

Calendula dried leaves.

This is a 80% butter soap.

Very hard. Excellent lather with many bubbles, even if i was worried about this.
Very nice sensation on the skin after the use.

I did add some FO, but FO and Cocoa butter do not go well together.
The soap smells cocoa, which I find pleasant.

DSC00711.jpg

Sulfur soap is helpful for acne. Some people use it as a repellant and a treatment for chiggers -- the small insects that burrow into the skin. Some like it for other skin issues, such as dermatitis and rosacea.

I love the pictures you posted in the beginning of the thread, especially your olive oil soaps. I haven't made any 100% olive oil soaps yet, but now I think I will have to! Beautiful work!

Thank you Skategirl.
I don't remember any particular issues when making it 3 months ago.
I did CP and waited some time to cool down the melted butters but keeping them liquid before adding the lye solution.

Latest posts

Back