Samples- Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I make solid lotion bars and I have been putting out a tester bar and a tooth pick so people can scrape off a bit and try it but inevitably people will pick up the bar and just rub it all over their hands, faces, arms, elbows, etc. So I was thinking about making little lotion caviar balls and putting them out as samples so that instead of a whole bar being contaminated then people can just use a test size. I can set out the toothpicks and they can just stab a tiny lotion caviar bubble to use. I found a fondant bubble mold that seems like it would make the perfect test size. Any thoughts?

So I make solid lotion bars and I have been putting out a tester bar and a tooth pick so people can scrape off a bit and try it but inevitably people will pick up the bar and just rub it all over their hands, faces, arms, elbows, etc. So I was thinking about making little lotion caviar balls and putting them out as samples so that instead of a whole bar being contaminated then people can just use a test size. I can set out the toothpicks and they can just stab a tiny lotion caviar bubble to use. I found a fondant bubble mold that seems like it would make the perfect test size. Any thoughts?

I’m looking a using twist up tubes.

I have a rose silicone mold as well as a snowflake mold. I don't fill the cavities, just a small flat disk. I'm not at shows very much. Selling from home, I put each one in a tiny ziplock from the $ store and put them in the customers bag to try at home.

The BB idea is cute but I see potential problems with people still touching them with their hands, especially kids.
If you really want to go that route, I would pre stab them with the toothpicks and just set out a few in a small dish with high sides.

Honestly, a small jar with some disposable spatulas seems neater and easier.

Have you considered small 1 oz jars for samples, and using small birchwood sticks for sampling?
I may try that. I just imagine someone digging their fingers into the jar.

The BB idea is cute but I see potential problems with people still touching them with their hands, especially kids.
If you really want to go that route, I would pre stab them with the toothpicks and just set out a few in a small dish with high sides.

Honestly, a small jar with some disposable spatulas seems neater and easier.
That's actually what I was thinking. Just putting some on a little saucer that are pre-stabbed so people just take a small amount and don't just glom up everything. I do prevent kids from accessing most of my products by keeping them up higher. I only have my display items out and keep my actual selling inventory behind the display so that people can't pick up and maul my products. If they maul the display I don't mind too much but I am trying to reduce waste with the lotion bars because when someone rubs a lotion bar all over themselves I end up tossing it and putting out a new one. And now with more people getting the flu and passing on illnesses I thought a single serving on a toothpick would serve better. But maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may try that. I just imagine someone digging their fingers into the jar.
That is why you put a small container, I use votive candle holders, out with small sticks or spatulas for sampling, with a sign to use a clean stick for samples. I also have a little mini can for trash and keep a small spray bottle of alcohol in case someone sticks their finger in the jar. It very seldom happens that a person does not use a stick. These are the sticks I use https://tinyurl.com/udjs27b

Latest posts

Back