Salt Soap Cupcakes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinStraight

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? I wanna try making soap cupcakes, but I've been so in love with salt soap, I wanna stick to my recipe. Is this possible? I know it's best to use more hard oils... would all the coconut oil suffice?

You could make cupcakes but piping the tops may be difficult to do. I did salt bottoms once and regular piped soap on top. Salt soap sets pretty quickly and gels pretty hot. High Co is key with salt soap.

I tried salt cupcakes last year. The bottoms separated from the piping before they were done curing. (@shunt2011 these were the blue salt bars I sent you, haha!) I also tried salt bottoms with regular cp soap, and vice versa, all of them came undone from the other. It was fun to experiment for me, but other than those three batches, I didn't care to try again to see if it was a technique issue.

Agh! I'm assuming you've made regular cupcake soaps before without that issue... Do you think that's a consequence of the salt, or the hardness of the soap itself? I usually only use 1 pound of salt per 2 pounds of oil, so they aren't particularly salty

You could give it a try. I generally use 40-45% Salt. It sets too quickly for me to even think of piping it. I have done salt bottom with regular top and got lucky as it did stick. I now only make regular soap with regular soap tops.

amd, and it's lovely soap. :)

You can buy silicone molds shaped like frosting, so my suggestion would be to make a batch of frosting, then they next day make a batch of the bottom/cake part, and put the frosting on the cake when the cake soap is still warm and liquid.

Or you could glue them together with MP.

You can buy silicone molds shaped like frosting, so my suggestion would be to make a batch of frosting, then they next day make a batch of the bottom/cake part, and put the frosting on the cake when the cake soap is still warm and liquid.

Or you could glue them together with MP.

I like the way you’re thinking but why bother with molds? You could pipe directly on a silicone baking sheet (I might draw the right size circles with a sharpie)and let sit overnight then add to freshly poured salt bars.

@dixiedragon has a good idea in case you don't want to mess with piping bags. It's my least favorite part of making soapy cupcakes. The only down side is if you want to put an embed on top you wouldn't be able to do that... oh! unless you stuck the embed in first and then poured the soap in the mold! I'm curious enough to go looking for a mold today and giving it a whirl.

ETA: I found a poop emoji pan that may do the trick!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way you’re thinking but why bother with molds? You could pipe directly on a silicone baking sheet (I might draw the right size circles with a sharpie)and let sit overnight then add to freshly poured salt bars.
Why bother piping on a baking sheet instead of the cupcake itself? I can understand using a mold as it will form and be consistent. My piping varies somewhat from one to another but a mold would be the same size/design.

My suggestion for molds vs piping is in case Austin has an issue with their salt soap recipe being difficult to pipe. There isn't a whole lot of flexibility in salt soap recipes, since high coconut is the only way salt soap will lather.

Also, I hate piping. More precisely, I hate that I am forcing a caustic substance into a bag and getting it all over the counter, my (gloved) hands, etc. I'm sure many people are better at this than me!

I am with ya @dixiedragon ! I'm a messy soaper to start with so throw in soap batter in a piping bag and I have to spend days cleaning the soap lab. I did get the emoji mold, but I haven't done it yet. It's on the list for this month as I am almost out of soap cupcakes. It's a bit bigger than I was anticipating, but not terribly so.

I don't think I would even try to pipe salt soap batter. I would add regular soap batter. Or, like recommended use a mold if it's salt soap batter. It gets too hot to even think about piping too.

Back