Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks penelopejane. They haven't cured that long. I'll try them again at that time. If they're still scratchy, I'll try making them again.

How much salt in relation to the oils did you use?

I was just looking back at that myself to check. I made them on 9/23.

Here's what I did:

15% avocado oil
5% castor oil
80% coconut oil
totaling 16 oz.
superfat 20%

used 16 oz of table salt
soaped at 90 degrees.

Is that recipe ok?

That is pretty much my recipe. I only use 35-50% salt generally. It’s my personal preference. I have done 100 Either way it’s never scratchy. Always smooth like polished stone.

6 months is great, 1+ years is amazing. Make extra, store them and forget about them until next Christmas.

I just made a 1 kg batch last weekend; keeping the above in mind, maybe I should make more, sooner rather than later.

DSCN1371.JPG

I was just looking back at that myself to check. I made them on 9/23.

Here's what I did:

15% avocado oil
5% castor oil
80% coconut oil
totaling 16 oz.
superfat 20%

used 16 oz of table salt
soaped at 90 degrees.

Is that recipe ok?

Your recipe is fine.
They are not cured long enough.
Cure for 6 months.

Have you tried a Soleseife soap? It a German Brine soap where you basically dissolve as much salt into your water as you can, then dissolve your lye and soap normally. Since the salt is dissolved first it makes a very smooth hard bar and (supposedly) only requires the standard 4-8 week minimum cure time. It's also good for hard water areas. I've made one batch so far and my testers really liked it, so planning to make more.

The recipe I tried is below.

Cheers - Steve

View attachment salt.pdf

Latest posts

Back