Salt bars are crumbly can I add them to another batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolincanada

Reaction score
I made salt bars in my crockpot but must not have been fast enough getting them into the mold. Can I make another batch of crockpot soap and add the crumbs at the end or grind them up and then add them. How do I fix it? They are not zappy and the crumbs have a really nice lather. Any suggestions??

I'm not sure, but I don't see why you couldn't add them into another batch.

Someone else more experienced with salt bars hopefully can give you some advice on their past experience.

Try it and see if you like the outcome, that's the great thing about soaping, it's an ongoing learning experience:)

Good Luck

:)

Yes- you can absolutely add them to another batch. I've done it on more than a few occasions with wondeful results.

IrishLass :)

Are you using 100% of the weight of your oils in salt? I found the batches I tried that with too crumbly and started using 2/3 of the weight in salt. Those batches come out really smooth :)

I used about 75% of the oil weight in salt. I think 50- 60 would have been better.Can I use any recipe to add them too or should it be mainly coconut oil? Would I just add them like I did the salt and at what % of my oils would you recommend? Thanks for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it!!!

You can add them to any recipe, truly. I've added them to all kinds of different formulas such as a 70% lard formula, a 65% tallow formula, a 50% Castile-type formula, a 26% lard formula, etc....- all with great results. Sometimes I added only as little as a tbsp. ppo, and sometimes I added 50% to 100% ppo- it just depended on my mood at the time. There are no hard and fast rules- just go with your creativity. :)

IrishLass

Thanks, for your help. I did a batch of 70% lard, 25% olive and 5 % castor and at the end of the cook added 50 % of the crumbly salt bars, which I had ground finely. I worked much faster and scooped it into one log mold. I smoothed it with wax paper and covered for an hour, sliced it in the mold and then covered a while longer. They turned out very nicely. smooth and not crumbly. Yeah!!!!

Back