Salt Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GardenGirl

Reaction score
So, I've read that you're not supposed to use Dead Sea Salts for this purpose - anyone tried it yet?

I found that this lady makes hers with <some unspecified amount> of DSS and Mediterranean Sea Salt. Total salt amount is listed as 50%.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars2.htm

I've got a ginormous bag of DSS handy, a desire to make a batch of salt bars, and some extra time this evening. Do I really have to go to the store for regular salt?

GardenGirl said:
So, I've read that you're not supposed to use Dead Sea Salts for this purpose - anyone tried it yet?

I found that this lady makes hers with <some unspecified amount> of DSS and Mediterranean Sea Salt. Total salt amount is listed as 50%.

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/soapbars2.htm

I've got a ginormous bag of DSS handy, a desire to make a batch of salt bars, and some extra time this evening. Do I really have to go to the store for regular salt?
It's possible that batch of DSS soap is hot processed (I took a peek at the pic).
You definitely need some OTHER kind of salt rather than DSS. Regular sea salt is best.

FYI: If you decide to go ahead and try a batch with the DSS CP, you'll likely end up with a seeping mess.

Go out and get some salt! My favorite is pink himalayian! :) it will be WELL worth your trip! :wink:

remember: you have to cut soon after pouring! :D

show us pics!

My first CP salt batch was with dead sea salt. It never set up completely, was wet, oily, and nasty. Huge waste of oils and EO.

I don't recommend finding out for yourself!

soapsmurf - Never even thought about that! Must be HP . . .

I'm not likely to try using my DSS unless someone else has been brave before me :) Just kinda curious as to why it doesn't work. Is it the super high mineral content?

Jezzy - is Pink Himalayan a Dead Sea Salt or a regular Sea Salt?

Tasha! My last post was at the same moment as yours! Thanks for the heads up! I will not try it then.

that chagrin valley lady must have hp afterwords with some DSS, like soapsmurf said.

It isn't dead sea salt. :wink:

i have heard bad stories about dss too. If you want to do something nice with your dss add a little of your favorite eo with about 2 tbs of baking soda and mix it all up and take a nice bath!

Yeah I would either do bath salts with it, or maybe sprinkle it on top of a soap loaf for decoration, something like that.

The himalayan pink is fantastic, but is a little expensive where I am! Between fine and coarse sea salt and regular table salt, the coarse sea salt is my favorite. Love the feel.

when i make salt bars with the pink salt the color stays, and it is gorgeus!

I just made 2 batches of soap using DSS. I was nervous, so I only used 1T dissolved in my lye/water to start. Both batches turned out great (so far). I increased the amount of coconut oil, superfatted to 10% and added lanolin and goat's milk for extra moisturizing properties. The bars set up within a few hours and I was able to unmold, bevel and photograph :)

BeaconCreations
[/url]

[/img]

Hazel said:
tasha,

Where do you get the pink Himalayan salt? Also, does it stay pinkish in the soap?

Thanks

Whole Foods has it, otherwise the local health food stores. At mine I can buy a block, coarse ground, or fine. It does stay pink, but it's so expensive that I only use it on the tops of bars.
I use a very coarse one (like very small gravel pieces) and press it into the top of my loaf. It creates a long-lasting scrubby side to the soap (as long as it drains well), and is also very pretty!

Petals said:
I just made 2 batches of soap using DSS. I was nervous, so I only used 1T dissolved in my lye/water to start. Both batches turned out great (so far). I increased the amount of coconut oil, superfatted to 10% and added lanolin and goat's milk for extra moisturizing properties. The bars set up within a few hours and I was able to unmold, bevel and photograph :)

BeaconCreations
[/url]

[/img]
Wow! Your soap looks great.

Just wondering a couple things. Are you 100% certain that it's actually Dead Sea Salt? There are a couple vendors that carry DSS, but also have regular sea salt. In every single case, prior to yours, that I've seen of DSS being used in CP, NONE have ever set up properly (though I'm talking about salt amounts that would appear in a salt bar). I do know that there has been some faking of DSS alleged, but I'm not suggesting that's happened in your case. I'm truly just wondering.

That said, 1T per batch isn't what most would commonly deem a "salt bar" since that's usually got a certain high percentage of salt that I've always seen @ 20%+ (frequently I've seen 50%, 80% and 100% oil weight in corresponding amounts of salt).

The problem with real DSS is the mineral content. The minerals in the DSS react too much with the lye to allow enough lye remaining to achieve full saponification. This then results in the seepy soap that doesn't set up properly.

Himalayan SS is a different story because it comes from a Pakistan region that has a different mineral breakdown on their salt- this also accounts for the pink color. The HSS is less reactive to the lye because the minerals in it are different from the more reactive ones found in DSS, which is why it seems to do better soaped.

Thanks so much everyone :D

@ soapsmurf, I purchased my DSS from wholesalesuppliesplus.com:
http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/ProductDetail.aspx?CatalogID=2&GroupID=748&CategoryID=1805&ProductID=467&ProductName=Crafters+Choice%e2%84%a2+Dead+Sea+Salt+-+Coarse+Grain
I see their name pop up quite often as reputable suppliers. But, hey, I you never know right?

I actually decided to go ahead and use the DSS after reading the Magestic Mountain Sage blog:
http://blog.thesage.com/2010/07/01/salt-soaps-a-perspective-from-crystal-part-two/

I'm not brave enough to try it with that much salt yet. You have to use so much coconut oil and I so scared it'll try my skin out even with the superfatting. Eventually though...

tasha said:
Hazel said:
tasha,

Where do you get the pink Himalayan salt? Also, does it stay pinkish in the soap?

Thanks

Whole Foods has it, otherwise the local health food stores. At mine I can buy a block, coarse ground, or fine. It does stay pink, but it's so expensive that I only use it on the tops of bars.
I use a very coarse one (like very small gravel pieces) and press it into the top of my loaf. It creates a long-lasting scrubby side to the soap (as long as it drains well), and is also very pretty!

Thanks tasha - I'll have to look around for some because I'd like to try it.

Petals said:
I'm not brave enough to try it with that much salt yet. You have to use so much coconut oil and I so scared it'll try my skin out even with the superfatting. Eventually though...

Be assured that at 15-20% superfat, and 75-80% the weight of oils in salt, this is one of my favorite soaps to use (and my husband's favorite as well). My skin dries out pretty easily and my salt bars haven't bothered me yet! Try it and be amazed! :D

Latest posts

Back