Salt bar tonight - 40-50%??????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one mold left so thought I would use up some co and make a salt bar. The last time I did this I just dumped the salt into the lye and stirred it in as the lye was reacting. After it cooled and I dumped it into the oils it was ok but not sure what I was doing. Should I put the salt in at trace? Does it matter? 50% of oils enough? Does it matter? Thought I would throw it together tonight and see what happens. Superfat about 15%? Sounds like an experiment worthy of a cold night. What say you?

IMG_0864-1.jpg

Yes, it matters when you add your salt. When making salt soap, the regular/standard method is to add the salt to directly into your soap batter at trace, right before you pour your soap into the mold.

As far as how much salt, well..... that is all a matter of personal preference that can only be reached by experimentation. I myself prefer to use 25% salt as per my oils, and I superfat them at 13%, but that's just me.

Sounds like an experiment worthy of a cold night. What say you?
I say, 'Go for it!'

IrishLass :)

I was researching this very topic last night, and what I read was adding 50% to 100% salt as compared to the oils. And do this at trace, then pour. Seems like a lot of salt, I personally have never used a salt bar, so really have no clue what the best amount would be, but do let us know how yours comes out.

just wanted to say coarse sea salt is my favorite! (although not those big coarse bits because they will cut you.)
added at trace... I have tried varying amounts and love them either way.

I am in cat love!!! he is researching tour de france eh!

Have used kosher but not sea salt. Everyone seems to like sea salt.

Yes, he is an avid cyclist. Often sleeps behind my road bike but won't go near the mountain bike. A true roadie. Gotta love em. 8)

My bars are fantastic and are 100% or 95% coconut oil, superfatted 20%. I use plain kitchen salt, as it's the fne grain that works as a gentle exfoliant ... great as a facial soap. I add the salt just before I pour the soap into individual moulds.

I use 70% salt!
Dragonkaz said:
My bars are fantastic and are 100% or 95% coconut oil, superfatted 20%. I use plain kitchen salt, as it's the fine grain that works as a gentle exfoliant ... great as a facial soap. I add the salt just before I pour the soap into individual moulds.

I use PKO,CO, Shea butter and a little castor oil. SF at 20 %.
I add 70% kitchen salt.I love these bars so much, I can't stop using them.
They lathered after one week,I always have to use a test bar right away,no patience.

Mine did that too TraceyAnn. Then they dried off, and now... Well we've had that much rain, and the humidity has been deadly, I'm too afraid to look :(

Latest posts

Back