Salt Bar Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftyRedhead

Reaction score
I'm making my second batch of salt bars soon - wanted to bounce my recipe off of you all. I've made plenty of other soap recipes, but I can't trust the soapcalc numbers on this, so I'm a bit nervous.
I'm looking at 80% CO, 10% OO, 5% castor, 5% grapeseed. I'm planning on 75% sea salt, 17% superfat and .75oz/per lb of FO. I'm not sure if FOs measure differently with salt bars or not, I've only make one batch and I can't remember. I do remember it moving and setting up super quickly, so I've got a nice silicone mold with individual cavities so I don't have to worry about watching and cutting it :)
Any suggestions, tips or tricks would be helpful!

I would go 80% coconut oil, 10% castor, 10% Olive Oil. Forget the grapeseed, it is an astringent oil that soap does not need. Not saying it would hurt but you will get more from the castor. Keep the superfat at 17%. I really think you will be happy with them. In my opinion, salt bars that do not lather are no fun. Also give them at least a 6 month cure

Your recipe looks good. I would drop grape seed and just use olive. As for FO I usually use 6 percent as salt bars seen to need a bit more fragrance due to the salt. Try your recipe and see if you like it.

Latest posts

Back