Salt bar question(s)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had pretty good scent retention with my salt bars. I use about 10% dendritic salt and soak my FO in it for a few minutes before adding to my batter - then adding the rest of my sea salt. I haven't tried any real experiments trying it with the same FO and no dendritic salt.... but I can say my salt bars have tons of scent... sometimes obnoxiously so (WSP Raspberry Lemonade, I'm looking at you).

I use 1oz ppo but don't take the salt weight into account.

I've had pretty good scent retention with my salt bars. I use about 10% dendritic salt and soak my FO in it for a few minutes before adding to my batter - then adding the rest of my sea salt. I haven't tried any real experiments trying it with the same FO and no dendritic salt.... but I can say my salt bars have tons of scent... sometimes obnoxiously so (WSP Raspberry Lemonade, I'm looking at you).

I use 1oz ppo but don't take the salt weight into account.
I would love to get WSP Raspberry lemonade to hold strong in non-salt bar. I could not sell the darn soap because Rasp Lemon by WSP faded so badly

I made a batch of WSP Raspberry Lemonade that I purchased in the pre-Christmas sale, and it was so obnoxious that I had to put the mold outside, cut it outside, and cure it outside for a couple of weeks. It was the only soap I have ever had to send off not completely cured. Fortunately, it was going to my daughter, who was instructed to allow it to finish curing before using. She and her friends loved the scent. It gave my husband and I headaches. I sent the rest of the bottle to her. I did not even want to accidentally use it in the future.

I only had enough to scent that one batch, but man... it was potent. My salt bars were crazy strong after 6 months.

Carolyn, I wonder if you had some old stock? I cannot imagine it being a fader in any application. OOB it was really strong for me too.

I use it as well and it's a great seller. I made mine in March and it still smells great. It was pretty potent for a bit but mellowed out nicely. I make sugar scrub and bath bombs with it as well.

Mixed up a batch today!
Reduced my normal total oil volume by 10% and added salt at 50% of the new oil volume.
Per Carolyn Z's suggestion FO is Dragon Blood at 7%

In the mold the volume looks to be only slightly higher than normal. I have it wrapped up nice and snug on the dining room table waiting to cut this afternoon.

Mixed up a batch today!
Reduced my normal total oil volume by 10% and added salt at 50% of the new oil volume.
Per Carolyn Z's suggestion FO is Dragon Blood at 7%

In the mold the volume looks to be only slightly higher than normal. I have it wrapped up nice and snug on the dining room table waiting to cut this afternoon.
Bet you are going to love them :)

Bet you are going to love them :)

And so they are done, they smell amazing! Now the waiting game :)

Thanks again for the suggestions

20160918_154129.jpg

I never adjust the amount of oil for my salt bars. I just grab a individual mold for any extra batter, usually get 3 bars extra when I make a 2 lb batch.

What I really like about this advice is that you don't have to change your soapmaking recipe when you add salt. It is time saving for me, anyway. :mrgreen:
And the individual molds are nice for salt soap.

Back