Salt bar for shampoo or is my hair just freaky?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
So I made the famous Genny's shampoo bar, and I adore it - as a hand, face and body bar :-? I tried to last through the adaptation phase, I really did, but my baby fine hair was all sticky and goofy and I went back to commercial shampoos because I felt like I was trying to make dreadlocks.

Then the other night as I was in the shower trying out my just turned 1 month old absolutely basic indigo salt bar (80% CO, 15% OO, 5% castor, 80% salt PPO, 20% SF) and thinking how much I love salt bars, and perhaps singing a little song to the blue salt bar and I thought hmmmm. I quickly lathered it up and rubbed it in my hair, lather, rinse, repeat. Wow nice and clean - no drag! Splashed on a vinegar rinse, final rinse and got out and towel dried my hair.

WOW that worked out well. No funky, no adaptation, just happy, tangle free soft happy hair. That was 2 days ago and its still shiny and cooperative.

Am I on to something or is my hair just weird?

I just tried my salt bar two days ago, and I'm finding my hair feels really coated. It's not the adjustment period, because I've been using my soaps for weeks now. I tried Gennys shampoo bar but it leaves my hair really flyaway. I need to have some coconut oil in there to clean well. The salt bar did make my scalp feel really clean though.

I'm thinking the different effects might be due to our really hard water? Does having chloramine in your water effect things?

I tried a salt bar once,left my hair really gunky feeling. Won't ever do it again.

I think it reflects that everybody's different. If you have found something that works for you, go for it!

I've tried my salt bar on my hair and it wasn't too bad. So now I use it about once a month. I do have to use conditioner though as my hair is color treated. I do like it though.

After reading this, I will be trying my salt bar on my hair tonight. I have been using shampoo bars for months.

Ok now I have to go back to formulating my perfect shampoo bar! I had almost given up, but you diapers have renewed my interest. Thanks!

Edit: stupid autocorrect!! I wrote soapers and it subbed diapers. Didn't notice, hah.

Last edited:
That's interesting! Did you notice any more volume than usual (I am thinking of those salt sprays for "beachy" hair). Any concerns about the indigo leaving color behind? I know some shampoo bar makers have henna bars that are supposed to gradually change hair color.

That's interesting! Did you notice any more volume than usual (I am thinking of those salt sprays for "beachy" hair). Any concerns about the indigo leaving color behind? I know some shampoo bar makers have henna bars that are supposed to gradually change hair color.

You know - yes, I think more volume. And no - this bar is a pretty light blue. the lather is white. I doubt the indigo has any thing left to leave behind, though that would be kinda cool...

attachment.php

I use all of my bars on my (short, fine) hair and they all work well but the salt bars are my favourite. I use conditioner after any and every shower regardless of what I wash my hair with, though.

Latest posts

Back