Safflower oil for soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also testing high oleic safflower but my bars are only a few days old. I also made a 100% safflower bar yesterday, just for experimental purposes.

I would only use safflower if its high oleic, otherwise it could make the soap go rancid if you used more then just a small amount. This post will help you figure out which kind of oil it its http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46578

I agree with the others' comments. HO safflower is the one to get for best performance in liquid and bar soap. I use it and HO sunflower (some of which is produced here in the Midwestern US.)

I made an unscented 100% HO safflower soap a couple of years ago. It made a hard very white bar with no smell at all. Not a bad soap if I recall correctly. I haven't played with it for a few months, I'll try to dig out a bar tonight and give it another test. I would like to make another batch and use dual lye, just to see the difference.

ETA:

Here is my thread http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61861 although it did stray a bit off the subject.

Hey Arthur, the 100% HO safflower batch I made is dual lye. It will be interesting to see how it performs as it cures. Did you notice any differences between yours and a 100% OO soap? Was the lather/slime similar?
I tested mine this morning and it was very similar to young castile but it didn't leave my skin tight like castile does. Its great to see that your bars didn't develop DOS. I'm wanting to completely replace OO in my recipes with the safflower.

Obsidian, I use the Daily Chef 100% Pure Olive Oil from Sam's club... with it my 100% OO soap doesn't give the famous slime, I think we decided that it might be adulterated. Did I send you a sample bar? I sent one to somebody. I think.
Anyway, according to my comments in my thread about the safflower soap it didn't give the slime either, though it has been several months since I used it. I'll try a bar tonight and report back. I would be glad to send you a sample bar of each.

I remember your OO soap now and how it was slime free. I don't think I got a sample of it but I can't remember for sure. Not really interested in a sample of it at this time, OO just doesn't play well with my skin.
I would be happy to swap saff samples though, that way I don't have to make another batch with just NaOH and you can get a duel lye sample.

As promised, I dug out my nearly 2 year old 100% HO safflower bars last night. A few had finally started to develop DOS, so I pitched them. The rest however are the whitest and hardest bars I have ever made. In the shower it does feel a bit slimy, but a bath pouf works that up into some nice lather. I think high HO safflower is a good oil to experiment with, I'll be subbing it for OO in my next few batches to see how I like it.
Thanks to Foresthome for reminding me about this!

Last edited:
I tried my bar as well this morning. This is 6-7 weeks old, my typical balanced bar with 20% olive that I subbed 20% HO safflower. The safflower bar seems exactly the same as the olive bar - and I had both in the shower with me to compare. Since the HO safflower is roughly 1/3 cheaper than olive (in the sizes I typically buy) I'm sold on the replacement going forward.

I subbed HO safflower for the OO in a 3 lb batch last night. The light color of the oil and the price seem to make this a no brainer for me.

I do one with Safflower, Coconut, and other butters or "helper" oils. I use coffee instead of water and throw a couple tablespoons of grounds in it. It's a very nice soap with exfoliating properties.
0714c5659f6dea7d2cc5ba531079505f.jpg
f911fb521171081fc175e45eded70f75.jpg

Back