safety gear issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Concerning safety gear for working with lye soap. I use latex gloves, and usually a painters mask during work with the lye cause it tends to burn the wind pipe a bit, and safety glasses.
My problem is with the safety glasses, they fog up so badly I can't see a thing, and as quick as I clean them up, they are fogged up again.:headbanging:
Any good ideas out there to help keep them clear so one can see what they are doing?
annoying to say the least...
thanks for ideas...

Is your breath coming out of the painters mask (any pictures of that?) which then causes the fog? Safety glasses often only cover direct things like chips of stone or wood, better are lab glasses designed to stop splashes. They are more expensive, but it's also the cheaper sorts of safety goggles which tend to steam up, so it's better not to skimp

There are safety glasses and there are safety glasses. What kind do you use? Can you provide a photo?

If they keep fogging up, try just washing them, then put a small drop of baby shampoo or dishwashing liquid inside, rub it around with your finger to coat the inside of the lens and rinse briefly, without further rubbing. You're trying to leave a very thin coat on the inside of the lenses. You can also google 'how to keep a diving mask from fogging up' for other suggestions, just make sure the one you're looking at is suitable for plastic lenses.

I absolutely second the suggestion to get good chemical splash goggles, with indirect vents.

I have use a wide variety of goggles,- Laugh if you want- from regular safety glasses, to snowmobile goggles, swim goggles, you name it.-- vented --unvented,-- with the same results...
I do like the idea of possibly using dish soap to prevent them steaming up. Sounds like that might work..
The steam issue has became very frustrating to say the least, as I do believe in using safety
glasses of some sort.

I know a lady who has made thousands and thousands of pounds of soap, and got careless and didn't use glasses, and ended up getting lye water in her eye. She did end up okay, but it could have ended up brutal to say the least..

I have use a wide variety of goggles,- Laugh if you want- from regular safety glasses, to snowmobile goggles, swim goggles, you name it.-- vented --unvented,-- with the same results...
I do like the idea of possibly using dish soap to prevent them steaming up. Sounds like that might work..
The steam issue has became very frustrating to say the least, as I do believe in using safety
glasses of some sort.

I know a lady who has made thousands and thousands of pounds of soap, and got careless and didn't use glasses, and ended up getting lye water in her eye. She did end up okay, but it could have ended up brutal to say the least..

Dish soap is a trick divers and swimmers use quite often to prevent fogging. I don't see any reason at all that it wouldn't also work for safety glasses. If you're worried about residue getting in your eyes (sweat runoff, maybe), use baby shampoo.

Safety measures are one thing I won't skimp on, right from the start. I depend on my vision, and losing it would be one of the worse things I can imagine happening.

Dish soap is a trick divers and swimmers use quite often to prevent fogging. I don't see any reason at all that it wouldn't also work for safety glasses. If you're worried about residue getting in your eyes (sweat runoff, maybe), use baby shampoo.

Safety measures are one thing I won't skimp on, right from the start. I depend on my vision, and losing it would be one of the worse things I can imagine happening.

You beat me to it! You have a pretty kitty.

Put your goggles on first (and make sure they fit tight to your face), then the mask. It may not cure it, but if you are funneling warm moist air up under the goggles, this will help.

You can get an anti-fog spray to use on your safety glasses in any auto-parts store. Usually right next to the rain-x. Just spray inside your glasses / goggles and polish with a soft cloth.

As for fumes, if your stove hood vents outside, mix your lye under the vent. That's what I do. As soon as it turns clear, it usually has stopped putting off fumes and I can turn off the vent and continue my soap making process. It's very similar to using the fume hoods in the lab.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I don't see how a splash guard like that can protect splashes from below. For me that's where the lye water is mixed as is the soap - below my face.

I think because you would be looking downward, which would create an angle. If you mixed directly below and looked straight ahead it might be a problem.

I'm wondering if like others, it's because of your breath? Unless you are literally right on top of the lye solution bucket it shouldn't be from that.

no, I don't have to be anywhere near lye-water.
and I have even steamed up sealed swim goggles, within seconds of putting them on.. guess it is body heat.
I have spent a major amount of time working in walk in coolers and freezers, so I guess my body thermostat runs at "high"

Personally, I don't see how a splash guard like that can protect splashes from below. For me that's where the lye water is mixed as is the soap - below my face.

Actually that face shield really will protect from splashes coming from below. The length and curvature of the clear shield are what they are for that reason. It is correctly designed for chemical work.

The design in the link below is one you'd want to avoid for use with soap making. It has openings at the top for better ventilation, which sounds good, except those openings allow drips to flow down and reach the face. The shield itself is short so splashes from below can reach higher. It's designed for straight-on impact of light objects and liquid spray, not for serious chemical work. I could see people choosing a shield like this one, because it's light and cool, and I'm sure it would be better than nothing, but it's not meant for the hazards from working with NaOH and mixing soap batter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JDNT4AC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

OSHA standards would indicate that you use non-vented goggles, a respirator, and a face shield. Now, no one does that, and we aren’t subject to osha regs in our own home. But the respirator would direct the breath out and forward, and the non-vented goggles would fog up. The face shield is for splashes. I honestly use Z87.1 glasses and have a 12 pack, so I swap them when they fog. It was 13 bucks on amazon. I soap in a very well ventilated area, and I occasionally use actual swimming goggles or a face shield if a: I’m stuck blending an irresponsibly small amount, or, if I am pouring quantities larger than 2-3 lbs.

Once again I had "fog". I was using swim googles that fit real tight around the eyes, and I tried oiling them, tried sunlight dish soap, still fogged up on the inside. They fit real tight, so it must be sweat instead of breath..
Grrrrrrrrrrr :headbanging:
I am going to try to find time and contact someplace that specializes in chemical type gear, and see what they have to say...
This is ridiculous......

Once again I had "fog". I was using swim googles that fit real tight around the eyes, and I tried oiling them, tried sunlight dish soap, still fogged up on the inside. They fit real tight, so it must be sweat instead of breath..

Don't feel bad, my glasses fog every time I get a hot flash. Kinda embarrassing.

I cant believe no one mentioned the easiest and cheapest way of preventing fogging of goggles. Spit and rub.
Yes, spit some saliva on the inside of the lens then rub it around to coat the lens. Boom, no more fogging. Works great when diving and worked great when I was a firefighter.

I found this contraption on Amazon that looks like it will work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073DF389F/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use these masks when I am operating. Work great and they dont fog up. The key is to use your fingers to contour the upper edge of the mask to the bridge of your nose and cheeks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2FWT9N/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You mentioned swimming goggles, have you tried onion goggles? Many soapers use them, they've got a foam seal around the entire outside and conform to your face, and I find them much less prone to fog than typical safety/lab goggles.

As a side note, you can also get them in snazzy colours to match your apron :D

Oh and +1 for mixing lye water under the stove's fan; takes the fumes right outside and away from your lungs!

Latest posts

Back