Sabon soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
I was checking out the Sabon website , I guess they had open a new store at our mall here in Chicago.Have you heard of them?
They don't really list ingredients and sell the soaps as 16 oz for 6.80....
Maybe I can't read? My friend just checked out the store yesterday, she said the bars are very small....16 oz????

I've never heard of them. but I just checked out their site. Wow! 16 oz? Don't worry- you can read perfectly fine. I read 16 oz, too, but from the pictures on their site it looks like the bars should weigh something more like 6 oz. I wonder if it's a typo? It's either that or they must soap with lead! :lol:

IrishLass :)

you are funny.My husband said typo, but who knows maybe you are right, they soap with lead.
No, my friend checked them out at the store, she said they are small.
She also said, they are very big and just opened up a store in Japan.
Geez, if I only had more time, to get myself a soap store at the mall !

Wow, I got curious and checked the website too. No doubt, it really says $6.80/16 oz.

I got even more curious and checked on Yelp. I didn't go through all the reviews, but found one where a company rep explained a little about their pricing (from 2008):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sabon-new-york- ... C_4SC_7Ifg

"A regular bar of soap is appx. 6.80 (that's for .25oz)."

Not sure if that pricing is still accurate today. Charging $6.80/quarter ounce sounds about right though, if they are paying rent/expenses for 13 stores in high cost areas like NYC and Chicago.

Maybe this typo is a good chance to try their soap for $6.80/16 oz? :wink:

Great now I have to go to that stupid gigantic mall and spy on them.
I will report back.

6.80 for .25 oz.This is insane....but hey people buy it.I need to get my business going.Maybe next door.6.80 for 0.5 oz

PippiL said:
6.80 for .25 oz.This is insane....but hey people buy it.I need to get my business going.Maybe next door.6.80 for 0.5 oz

:lol: I am sitting here trying to imagine a Nebraska farm wife shelling out --WHAT?! Seriously? Isn't that $27.20 per ounce? Am I missing something here? A 4 oz. bar of soap is really $108? That has to be a goof. On the other hand, I can't imagine an entire pound of soap for $6.80. I sent a quick e-mail asking them to verify their prices as stated on the website. I sure didn't like the "Key Ingredients" tab -- the Lemon Mint Olive Oil Soap says "Lemon, Mint, Olive Oil." Informative. (insert sarcasm emoticon here)

I had to go look at the website too, and they have "guest" soaps that are listed as 4.8 oz, for $7.00. Also a bunch of "glycerine" soaps that look like MP. Very strange.

A short list of our products may be avoidable by Vegan’s. Below is a list of products that contain animal or human byproducts: Body Butter (contains Beeswax) Candles (contains Beeswax) Vanilla Mask (contains both Collagen & Elastin) A&E Mask (contains Lanolin) Night Cream (contains both Collagen & Elastin) Desert Flower Moisture Lotion (contains Elastin) Loofah Soap (contains Sea Cucumber)

Never mind the grammatical errors (I read on another page that all products are produced in Israel, so perhaps English is not the first language), can anyone tell me what "human byproducts" are???

From the pictures, perhaps the soaps are 6 ounces and not 16. They look like chunky bars but then again there's no background to determine scale. If there's a decimal point missing and it's 1.6 ounces, that would be pretty breathtaking

Their soaps don't list ingredients; the non "glycerin soaps" could be M&P, hard to tell. Having a lot of brown soap in their line doesn't seem to bother them. Personally it never bothered me either.

If they are average sized bars of soap, the price is not unreasonable for an upscale mall. But they don't look like anything extra. There's a lot more talent represented in our own Gallery.

It's amazing what marketing and investment capital can do.

ewww, human byproducts? I didn't see that.Coming from Germany, my English grammar is not great at times,but I don't have a professional site like that either.

ewww, human byproducts? I didn't see that.Coming from Germany, my English grammar is not great at times,but I don't have a professional site like that either.

I got an answer from Sabon. The prices on the website are incorrect (no kidding), as is the price quoted by the company rep on that other review site. The correct price is $6.80 for 4 ounces. Yep, I think you're right...English is a problem for them. The rep obviously meant $6.80 for .25 pounds, not ounces. And who knows how the 16 ounce size got onto the website.

The glycerin soap on their site is M and P. I think most people refer to M and P as glycerin soap (other than us, maybe!). I don't see a problem with them marketing those soaps. I don't see any misrepresentation there. A lot of people like those soaps, and heaven knows they are pretty.

Latest posts

Back