Round Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK_Homesteaders

Reaction score
I'd like to try some round bars, but I have a few questions. Any help appreciated:
  • 1. I'm not sure what to use for the molds. Looking for something inexpensive. Would PVC pipe work?
    2. What diameter? I'm thinking about 3.25" to 3.5". Is that too huge?
    3. Do you need to spray it or line it with anything before filling with soap? Or, does the soap slide out nicely, and not mix scents with previous soaps.
    4. Would a round mold work for HP, or would it be too likely to have air spaces?
Thank you!

The cheapest mold for round soap is pringles cans, I rinse them out let them dry, spray with cooking spray and line with freezer paper on the sides. To get the soap out I peel the can off, which leaves you with freezer paper wrapped log of soap.

Ive only used this for CP, I'm not sure that you could get HP pressed into it without air pockets in it.

^^^I've rebatched into a pringles can. You just gotta be sure you work fast, and your goo is hot and flowing! :D

Using the corner of a ziplock like a piping bag can help, too!

Hi , I have used a 3 inch round pvc pipe . It works very well for cp, I put mineral oil or baby oil in to make the soap come out easily. I have also tried it with rebatched soap and that worked well too.I don't see why it would not work with hp. My hubby made me a tamper and pusher .Just a 2 foot piece of wood with a circle of wood a little smaller than the 3 inches .On the other end he made the same kind of thing for when I use the downspout molds.

HTH

Kitn

i used pvc, you have to line it though, i did pringles can and didnt line it, dumb, i did hp with that and cut it off w a razor knife, it looks good.

Thank you all for the input. I've used pringles cans a time or two in the past. Works fine, but I want something reusable. Sounds like pvc would work well. I'll get some of that, unless anybody has something better.

Thanks,

Jenny

PVC with a silicone (flexible type) cutting mat trimmed and stuck in there to line it.. :)

Lil Outlaws said:
PVC with a silicone (flexible type) cutting mat trimmed and stuck in there to line it.. :)

Likewise... except I use the plastic cutting mats that come 4 in a pack for about $5 bucks at Target. No need to spray or oil the molds... soap slides right out and the liners are reusable... probably forever.

I use 3" PVC for most of my soaps but I have done some 2" as sample/guest sized soaps. PVC is designed to withstand a wide range of temps. Both HP and CP work just fine... I have even put them in a warm oven to gel and in the fridge to prevent gel.

xyxoxy said:
Lil Outlaws said:

Likewise... except I use the plastic cutting mats that come 4 in a pack for about $5 bucks at Target. No need to spray or oil the molds... soap slides right out and the liners are reusable... probably forever.

I use 3" PVC for most of my soaps but I have done some 2" as sample/guest sized soaps. PVC is designed to withstand a wide range of temps. Both HP and CP work just fine... I have even put them in a warm oven to gel and in the fridge to prevent gel.

Exactly, those are the ones I'm talking about! The ones that are super thin and somewhat transparent.. cheeeeeeap but work perfectly!

THANK YOU! :D Those mats sound like the way to go. I will try some. I know this sounds ridiculous, but where in the store do you find them? In housewares with the cutting boards? With the parchment paper and such? Here in Alaska they'd probably put it in the electrical department because someone might use an electric knife with it. I don't go into town often, so I want to be sure to get some.

Thanks

I use 3 inch PVC, but I don't line it with anything. When I am ready to unmold it I just throw it in the freezer for a few hours, then take it out and let it set abut 20 minutes, and then push it out.

I found my cutting mats with kitchen items... but oddly not with cutting boards. I think they were in with the more generic brand low cost kitchen gadgets and I had to hunt for them.

I used to use either petroleum jelly or nothing to line my PVC but the results were unpredictable... even using the freezer method. Sometimes the soap would slide right out... other times I almost got a hernia trying to push it through even after freezing then running under hot water. With the cutting mats those days are gone.

OK.... yep, I am really stupid, I just cant get my head around "cutting mats" Anyone willing to post a picture so I can see what these things look like pleeeese :?

They are like a cutting board but a thin flexible material.sometimes they are sold rolled up.

HTH
Kitn

Back