Rosewood Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyM

Reaction score
Do any of you use Rosewood? I made a blend with the Rosewood, Patchouli and a bit of Black Pepper and I don't smell the Rosewood in the bar at all!
Anyone have experience with keeping the scent of this oil? Think I'll experiment with Rose Geranium next time!

Is it real rosewood eo?
Honestly, the high price of that eo & being able to find a reputable source of making sure it's been legally obtained would keep me from soaping with rosewood eo. I've never soaped it. I've used the tiniest amount in a solid perfume once and it smelled pretty nice, a little spicy & floral, with just a little woody sweetness.

Patchouli & black pepper are pretty strong scents, it could be that they're just overpowering the rosewood.

I use ho wood as a sustainable substitute. You can get it from NDA. Not exactly the same but close enough for soap and the price is right. Besides, I love the name.

Genny is right, it's not a super strong scent. It may be that your other EOs took over this blend.

Yes I've been considering Ho Wood. I have a sample and it's beautiful.

The Rosewood EO I got was from Wellington but unfortunately the sample was waaaaay stronger than what was delivered.
I used 2 oz Rosewood to 1/2 oz each Patchouli and Black Pepper, I think the Pepper is really strong stuff.

Genny, how would you know if it wasn't "real" Rosewood? Do companies like Wellington pull that stuff?

Some suppliers sell "blends" of certain EO's (like rosewood, sandalwood, frankincense, amber, bay rum) that smell like the eo and have similar constituents.

Rosewood is an endangered species and is being regularly illegaly harvested. People have died in the protection of the species. So a 100% rosewood eo would be very expensive to find, in my opinion, more expensive than what Wellington sells it for. Plus, unless it says that suppliers source of the eo complies with government regulations or from sustainable rosewood plantations, I wouldn't buy it in fear that it was illegally obtained.

I've never tried Wellington's rosewood eo, but I bet it is a blend. I don't like that Wellington doesn't list how the eo's are extracted and where they came from, which is pretty important to a lot of people that use eo's.

Most of the time you can tell if it's a real EO by price. Look at different suppliers and if one is selling an eo for much less, I'd be leery.

Back