Rosemary EO vs ROE for preventing rancidity & DOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ROE does not fragrance your soap.
Some people are allergic to Rosemary EO because it is an essential oil.
Not sure if they'd also be allergic to that smaller amount of ROE.

Thank you, penelopejane. I was wondering if there was a scent to the ROE, since I don't have it yet. I have started labeling my soaps (I only give soap to family and a few select friends; no plans to sell ever) because it certainly seems the wise route to include all ingredients for just that reason. As far as I know no one in the family has an allergy to rosemary, but it is something that did cross my mind. And even in ones own family we don't all necessarily tell each other every tiny little detail about our lives.

Yes, thank you. I have it bookmarked as a reference and plan to refer back to it when I get the ROE and do the side by side experiment.

I was thinking I would do it using one of the oils that develops DOS quickly on its own. I have 2 or 3 single oil soaps I did last year that have turned quite orange, so I'll choose one of those oils. The worst one is Crisco, and even though it is not really a single oil, it might be my choice for this experiment.

Crisco sounds like a good choice. It's a pretend hard oil but heavy on linoleic acid. Would love to hear about the results when you have some.

Thank you, penelopejane. I was wondering if there was a scent to the ROE, since I don't have it yet. I have started labeling my soaps (I only give soap to family and a few select friends; no plans to sell ever) because it certainly seems the wise route to include all ingredients for just that reason. As far as I know no one in the family has an allergy to rosemary, but it is something that did cross my mind. And even in ones own family we don't all necessarily tell each other every tiny little detail about our lives.
I only give my soap away as well. I have started using a Spirulina soap (no FO but some ROE improperly mixed in) made 6 months ago and it is giving me an all of body itchy rash. DH who has eczema and doesn't use FOs or EOs has no reaction.
I stopped using the Spirulina soap and itch gone. I am sensible to a lot of things and NEED to have things labelled to work these things out.

I've had great feedback that has gone into the ether because I can't work out "that fantastic pink one..."

Back