Soap going rancid and I cannot figure out why.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0.5% of ROE in a 100g batch (from the amounts above) is 0.5 grams
Weighing a drop on my scales is extremely difficult, even when it goes two decimal places. Its a MyWeigh Triton T3R precision scale. It doesn't even register until i use two drops. But 1 drop of ROE is 0.015g.
Weigh multiple drops to get an individual drop weight. Eg. Weigh ten (and then divide by 10)

Given that you know that one drop of ROE is 0.015g, and you need 0.5g, then the math to get the number of drops you need is 0.5g divided by 0.015g (result 3.33 drop)

The number of drops of ROE you need is 3 for your 100g batch of oils (lip balm, calculated using the information provide)

Weigh multiple drops to get an individual drop weight. Eg. Weigh ten (and then divide by 10)
Thanks, i never thought of that!

Given that you know that one drop of ROE is 0.015g, and you need 0.5g, then the math to get the number of drops you need is 0.5g divided by 0.015g (result 3.33 drop)
Im probably going to sound like an idiot now, and my math is terrible, so yeah i know the weight of one drop now, but how do you know i need 0.5g? All this is confusing! Essential oil calculations, roe, etc is my weak point in all this.

No worries, it's one of those "obvious in hindsight" concepts :):thumbs:
... but how do you know i need 0.5g? All this is confusing! Essential oil calculations, roe, etc is my weak point in all this.

The 0.5% maximum usage rate came from this article on ROE that AliOop linked earlier in this thread

0.5g was calculated from this maximum, using your 100g of oils and butters (0.5% of 100 grams is 0.5 grams)

I also had someone tell me once that my unscented liquid soap was rancid.
The soap was perfectly fine, but this person was so used to smelling my scented liquid hand soap that when I left it unscented he thought it was rancid and actually told me so.
I resisted the urge to slap him and replied that the soap was merely unscented because scent's expensive, and nobody pays me to make decent soap magically appear in this **** office...

Latest posts

Back