rose petals?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honor435

Reaction score
anyone dried rose petals and used? if so, how did it look and did you put throughout or on top etc?do they discolor?

I've not used them myself, but I've read from many soapers who did use them, and the consensus was that they eventually go brown.

IrishLass :)

Rose petals always seem to turn brown or black in anything that heats them up. Good luck keeping a scent or color. I tried using them a couple of times and gave up. They looked disgusting.

We made rosewater: bought a bunch of dried rose petals at the "Naturals Store" (Cambridge, MA... anyone who knows the area needs no further explanation. LOL)... brought them to a boil in a pot of water, then let simmer for like 45 min... strain the petals out, Voila! Rose Water. We used it for the lye/water in our next batch of soap. Not done curing yet, so don't know the official outcome, but can tell you that the soap thus far seems to have a very, VERRRRRY slightly pink tint when held up to the light!

artisan soaps said:
I've never tried either as everything I've ever read tells me they turn black in or on CP .. Such a shame!

Think they would hold up in HP? I want to make a soap like Pangea Organics for my husband and rose petals is one of their ingredients, I was going to do CP but now I may not....

I only sprinkle a few on the tops of my HP, I use to put them in the loaf, but they turn all brown and mushy. . .not very appealing.

ETA: They do turn brown in HP, guess it is just the heat that does it.

I watched Alton Brown make distilled rose water once. I bet you could google it and it was easy to do. I think it involved water, a pot, a brick and the rose petals. Supposed to be a strong liquid. Here's the basic idea: m/how-to-make-rose-water-4-recipes/

Latest posts

Back