Ricing and clumping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've had 2 soaps rice on me.... I believe that's what it was.... both times, as soon as I added the FO, I got little white clumps that I was mostly able to SB out, but found upon unmolding later that some of the clumps had remained in the soap.

I understand this happens with FO's sometimes.... is there a way to minimize this? Maybe add the FO very slowly?

PS -- One of them was with Pearberry FO, which I added into the oils *before* mixing in my lye solution. As soon as my lye solution hit it -- clump city. In the other one, I added the FO at light trace and it immediately began ricing.

Both times I was soaping at about 100°, with a water percentage of 27.

I always add my FO at light trace , I have never had ricing (touch wood) . I also soap at room temperature , for me this alleviates some of the problems when using milks or touchy FO's and gives me more "play" time.
I don't know what the white clumps would be though. Was your lye water well mixed? Is your soap zappy ?

Kitn

Maybe if you don't discount the water? And soap at a low(er) temperature?

I just had one go to trace in a hurry today...green clover and aloe. I thought hmmmm...clover is a PLANT not a FLORAL...it should behave nicely...

:roll:

good reasoning, huh?

i always have trouble with the pearberry fo i use. the site even says it may cause white streaks. but i am a glutton for punishment and have learned to just hurry when using it. brut from oregon trails is another one that gives me trouble, even with no water discount and room temp oils.

pretty much no water discount and soap cool for soaps that give you problems or hot process that fragrance oil. and check out the description on the site it came from, some places will tell you if the soap behaves or not in cp soaps, then of course there is always the scent review board ( which i wish more people would add info to, :wink: )

course my back up plan is to cuss and swear at the soap batch, sometimes it works sometimes not.......................

Back