Rice Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cool! Do you also use rice bran oil? I’ll have to try adding rice pudding for hardness in my HP soaps. I’ve found most all of my soaps are so soft even when I use 40% or more hard oils. I’m in a really humid area and I do 38%. What % water do you usually use in your HP soaps? I’ve been soaping for about 3 months so I’m a newbie, but I try to make small batches of soap at least twice/week.
Hallo! Yes I do! I love RBO.. In fact here is a thread where some of us shared our RBO soap experiences hehe

My % of hard oils vary but I generally shoot for 30 or above longevity (I don't really look at the hardness numbers anymore) and they do last quite a while in the shower but I do also cure a minimum 8wks before selling/using.

Here is the recipe for my rice soap if you want a peek of the numbers. I started with 26% lye concentration (not % of oils) coz it is already very fluid and I don't usually color or swirl this one much, but they do warp so I think I can get away with even less water.

It's very humid here too, like every single day and even more when it's raining, which is now almost every single day lol but so far so good on the soaps - they have a fan and a dehumidifier on them 24/7.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @SPowers!

SPowers- I love the idea of your exfoliating rice soap.
Something to bear in mind about rice though... depending on where the rice is grown, it usually contains small amounts of arsenic. When you soak rice in water, the arsenic seeps out into the water. Personally, I wouldn't put that water on my face or use it in soap. I would discard that first soaking water (water the garden) and soak the rice in salted water for a few hours to get rid of all the arsenic from the rice. Then boil the rice in plenty of water with salt (like pasta) and use that water for soap.

SPowers- I love the idea of your exfoliating rice soap.
Something to bear in mind about rice though... depending on where the rice is grown, it usually contains small amounts of arsenic.
That's a good point. Most of the low- or no-arsenic rice in the world is grown in north-central California. Those fields historically were not used for rice, and thus weren't sprayed with the pesticides that contained arsenic. If you can find Lundberg Rice, that is a brand organically grown around the Sacramento area. It is also non-enriched, which great for those of us with MTHFR mutation.

Hallo! Yes I do! I love RBO.. In fact here is a thread where some of us shared our RBO soap experiences hehe

My % of hard oils vary but I generally shoot for 30 or above longevity (I don't really look at the hardness numbers anymore) and they do last quite a while in the shower but I do also cure a minimum 8wks before selling/using.

Here is the recipe for my rice soap if you want a peek of the numbers. I started with 26% lye concentration (not % of oils) coz it is already very fluid and I don't usually color or swirl this one much, but they do warp so I think I can get away with even less water.

It's very humid here too, like every single day and even more when it's raining, which is now almost every single day lol but so far so good on the soaps - they have a fan and a dehumidifier on them 24/7.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @SPowers!
Thanks for the great info! I’ll be working on a rice batch soon.

That's a good point. Most of the low- or no-arsenic rice in the world is grown in north-central California. Those fields historically were not used for rice, and thus weren't sprayed with the pesticides that contained arsenic. If you can find Lundberg Rice, that is a brand organically grown around the Sacramento area. It is also non-enriched, which great for those of us with MTHFR mutation.

Our tap water in New Mexico naturally contains a small amount of arsenic, too. I don't imagine the amount you get in rice would hurt you, especially in soap. And MTHFR mutation is extremely common and rarely has been proven to cause any health problems. I'm not saying it's impossible for you to have a specific type of mutation that does, but generally speaking "MTHFR mutation" is not a problem.

Last edited:
Our tap water in New Mexico naturally contains a small amount of arsenic, too. I don't imagine the amount you get in rice would hurt you, especially in soap. And MTHFR mutation is extremely common and rarely has been proven to cause any health problems. I'm not saying it's impossible for you to have a specific type of mutation that does, but generally speaking "MTHFR mutation" is not a problem.
Yes, MTHFR is very common. However, I must respectfully disagree that it doesn't cause health problems.

The MTHFR mutation has caused tremendous and widespread health problems in my own family, and in the families of the support group to which I belong. Making the dietary changes necessary to counteract the problems has reversed serious mental health problems, near-fatal heart disease, and supposed ADHD. Children on the spectrum who have MTHFR make amazing improvements with the dietary changes, as well.

Some scoff and say it this all anecdotal. Well, that's because no one wants to do studies on solutions that don't require expensive drugs or surgery. Or they do the studies in such a way as to "prove" that it doesn't work. But when I went from having multiple migraines per month, and my "carpal tunnel syndrome" disappeared, and I no longer had intractable dandruff, and I stopped having unexplainable allergic-type reactions to foods, I really don't care what those "experts" say. I'm going to do what supports my health.

Back