Grrrr - Spotty Soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any ideas on this phenomenon? I think I know the answer but here goes:
When I make soap with oat milk or rice water/slurry I get speckles. Oatmilk - always speckles. Rice water/rice slurry SOMETIMES speckles. This particular soap is made with rice slurry added to the water. I dissolved the lye, and then let it sit for a bit, stick blended it it to ensure it was fully blended ( which is was - no speckles evident). I then proceeded to make my soap which had NO speckles when pouring. Here's the top:
IMG_5794.jpg
I gelled the soap which I always do. This morning I woke up to speckles!!!
Here are the smaller soaps I made out of the leftovers - speckles all the way through, which I know will be the same for the big slab:
IMG_5798.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5801.jpg
Most disappointing since this is a double batch which I now have to try and sell WITH SPECKLES. I have sold soap like this before and if people ask i just say it is the rice water/slurry since this is the only time It happens. But what I don't understand it WHY it happens. Most annoying!

Are you using all rice water to dissolve the lye? Or adding the rice water after lye is dissolved? Would the starch behave differently between the two methods? New soaper here. Have made rice water soap and used rice water to dissolve lye in. Going to find recipe and see exactly what I did. Did not have spotting. Your soap is still very beautiful. When you cut the loaf please post a photo.

Very strange! Does it look like clumping? You might be able to get around the problem by using the water from cooked rice while it’s still warm. Rinsing rice releases rice starch, and washes off little particles. See this webpage for info on the behavior of rice starch in water. Now I want to experiment!
The weblink seems to explain it quite well - it's like it's 'recrystallised' into clumps. But as I say - it doesn't always do it. It always does with oat milk. It's definitely some kind of starch issue.
@Misschief - do you ever have this issue?
@bwtapestry - I used rice slurry (puree) made with the rice water it was cooked in at about 10% of my water content. it was frozen and I broke it into clumps, also adding distilled water ice cubes and distilled water before dissolving the lye.

The weblink seems to explain it quite well - it's like it's 'recrystallised' into clumps. But as I say - it doesn't always do it. It always does with oat milk. It's definitely some kind of starch issue.
@Misschief - do you ever have this issue?
@bwtapestry - I used rice slurry (puree) made with the rice water it was cooked in at about 10% of my water content. it was frozen and I broke it into clumps, also adding distilled water ice cubes and distilled water before dissolving the lye.
I read this thread with great interest but I'm of no help. I haven't had this happen with my Thrice Rice at all. That said, I don't colour it and I don't use oat (or any kind of milk), just rice water and some of the rice slurry, along with the rice flour.

ETA: my husband says, all things considered, it must be a NZ thing.... only in NZ. (not helpful, I know)

I don't have enough experience to give advice but I just wanted to say I still think the soap is very nice I love the colors and swiling techniques you used very nice! I'm hoping to learn swirling next if I'm feeling brave enough to attempt it. Using oat and rice milk or water sounds very interesting!

I've noticed that certain non-milks (oat milk, almond milk etc) can seem to separate in a hot drink. Maybe keep a very close eye on temperature to see if that has a bearing on it
Yes - you are right. I've noticed that too. SO maybe when I gel the soap 'hotter' I get the speckles, and when it's not so hot I don't get them?

I read this thread with great interest but I'm of no help. I haven't had this happen with my Thrice Rice at all. That said, I don't colour it and I don't use oat (or any kind of milk), just rice water and some of the rice slurry, along with the rice flour.

ETA: my husband says, all things considered, it must be a NZ thing.... only in NZ. (not helpful, I know)
There's no oat milk in this one @Misschief - I may have confused the issue there somewhat. This is rice slurry (with rice cooking water) only. The speckles sometimes happen when i use rice water/rice slurry but sometimes not. Alternatively I get the same type of speckles every time I use oat milk (but there's none in this batch).
So it's definitely a starch thing, and maybe @The Efficacious Gentleman is onto something with the temperature thing?

Any ideas on this phenomenon? I think I know the answer but here goes:
When I make soap with oat milk or rice water/slurry I get speckles. Oatmilk - always speckles. Rice water/rice slurry SOMETIMES speckles. This particular soap is made with rice slurry added to the water. I dissolved the lye, and then let it sit for a bit, stick blended it it to ensure it was fully blended ( which is was - no speckles evident). I then proceeded to make my soap which had NO speckles when pouring. Here's the top:
View attachment 70293
I gelled the soap which I always do. This morning I woke up to speckles!!!
Here are the smaller soaps I made out of the leftovers - speckles all the way through, which I know will be the same for the big slab:
View attachment 70294View attachment 70295View attachment 70296
Most disappointing since this is a double batch which I now have to try and sell WITH SPECKLES. I have sold soap like this before and if people ask i just say it is the rice water/slurry since this is the only time It happens. But what I don't understand it WHY it happens. Most annoying!
Did the slab have the speckles through the cut? I don't see the speckles on the top of the slab.

Beautiful still! I'm thinking to try and not let it get to gel phase, keep it cool?
@CLMP you might want to try In The Pot Swirl for a starting swirl. They are beautiful too.

I am no help here, but I wanted to chime in and say that I think they look interesting. I’m sure it is frustrating, though, @KiwiMoose. The slab is so beautiful. Rice Freckles sounds like a cute name for the speckles. 🌸
I know it's little consolation when newbs like me still admire what the creator perceives as a mistake, but there is something lovely in the randomness, its like nature took over, which is frustrating and beautiful all at the same time.

So, in the spirit of that notion, and as you have stock now to sell, I'm loving naming the soap! My humble suggestions:
Rice Rickles
Rice Bubbles
Rapt
Sweet As Rice

Your speckles could be "proof in the pudding" of the genuine nature of rice water.

Imagine, your customers love this new novel soap, you sell out, and now have to replicate the effect .... mwah, ha ha!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back