Rice Bran Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishwosere

Reaction score
I've gotten low on my olive oil so went to the local Asda (Walmart in USA) to pick some up while I was waiting for a delivery- the price is extortionate over here. But, whilst Iwas there I noticed they sold pure Rice Bran Oil at less than half the price of OO. I've never soaped it but thought I could perhaps use half and half and obviously amend the lye solution accordingly.
Has/does anyone else use(d) RBO in their soap? if so how does it fare? and most of all how does it hold up with regards to DOS?

Many thanks for any/all replies :D

LOVE RBO Iuse it in every batch, I order mine from Bitter Creek north its like $11 a gallon.

my2scents said:
LOVE RBO Iuse it in every batch, I order mine from Bitter Creek north its like $11 a gallon.

Many thanks my2scents :) , is there a % limit I should adhere to, as in when using hemp oil etc.,? or can I use it in the same quantites as OO?

I love rice bran oil soap. It soaps nicely and the consistency of the heavy trace makes it easy to make pretty peaks.

I make a basic
30% coconut
30% PKO
40% rice bran oil
8% superfat

It is one of my go to recipes for nice perfected recipes but is also good for testing colors and fragrances

I'll be the odd one out. When the price of olive oil skyrocketed I subbed half of rice bran for the olive oil. I didn't care for the feel in the finished soap. I went back to olive.

I love it and use it at 20% in every batch. I have never had DOS.

It is said to speed up trace - I havent really noticed, and although it is sometimes Amber in colour, it still produces a white soap, and you can't beat the price :D

I have a gallon of it and will have to give it a try in higher percentages. I am almost out of avocado oil and that is going to replace it (since I have it, lol). Here I can get 5 quarts of olive oil from Costco for between $19-$24 depending on I don't know what. With shipping rice bran oil costs me $21 a gallon from Soaper's Choice.

Thank you all for your replies. I think it does speed up trace somewhat...I had soap on a stick last night but that's another story and I blame the gremlins anyway lol :lol:

I love rice bran oil. I use it at 20% for my standard recipes.
I think you might be right that it speeds up trace.

I use rice bran oil in all my soaps, between 10 and 20%. I read somewhere not to use more than 20%, but I can't remember where or why.

Dragonkaz said:
I use rice bran oil in all my soaps, between 10 and 20%. I read somewhere not to use more than 20%, but I can't remember where or why.

dos? I have no idea either but I have read not to go too high with it either... can anyone confirm whether this is a dos'er

I've never soaped with RBO myself, but my fave soapmaking book (Soap Naturally, by Patrizia Garzena & Marina Tadiello, 2004) has this to say about it;

In soapmaking, rice bran oil contributes to the lathering and emollient properties of the soap. It is however best kept at or below 20% of the total oils and fats, because larger amounts can cause the soap to go through a hotter than average gel phase, and also make the soap particularly 'sticky' and difficult to extract from the mould.'

I've gotten low on my olive oil so went to the local Asda (Walmart in USA) to pick some up while I was waiting for a delivery- the price is extortionate over here. But, whilst Iwas there I noticed they sold pure Rice Bran Oil at less than half the price of OO. I've never soaped it but thought I could perhaps use half and half and obviously amend the lye solution accordingly.
Has/does anyone else use(d) RBO in their soap? if so how does it fare? and most of all how does it hold up with regards to DOS?

Many thanks for any/all replies :D
Rice bran oil on it's own is too soft and takes forever to cure. It can't be used alone. If you like RB oil, then best to add coconut for a harder bar. However, RB oil produces a creamy lather. But that's not the only reason you would want to use it. You use it because it's cheaper and when you have to add other more expensive oils to it, then you might as well go back to olive oil in my opinion.

Rice bran oil on it's own is too soft and takes forever to cure. It can't be used alone. If you like RB oil, then best to add coconut for a harder bar. However, RB oil produces a creamy lather. But that's not the only reason you would want to use it. You use it because it's cheaper and when you have to add other more expensive oils to it, then you might as well go back to olive oil in my opinion.
This is a very old thread and the person you are replying to has not been seen in the forum since 2012. It is frowned upon to pull up such old threads. Here is a link to read about necroposting stating with 7C https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-culture-and-tone.56833/

I use rice bran oil mostly instead of olive oil. I get my rice bran oil in bulk from Riceland when they have a special sale on the oil or on shipping. I use it in soap as well as cooking.

Latest posts

Back