Reusable Mold Liner DIY?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffamarie

Reaction score
So I'm interested in finding a reusable alternative to freezer paper, just because I hate cutting it every time. I know some people have used oilcloth but it seems to add a texture that I'm just not a fan of to the outside of the bars. Do you think something like this could be cut to the size I need for my mold and work as a liner? Or does anyone else have any ideas for a freezer paper alternative??

Thanks!!

So I'm interested in finding a reusable alternative to freezer paper, just because I hate cutting it every time. I know some people have used oilcloth but it seems to add a texture that I'm just not a fan of to the outside of the bars. Do you think something like this could be cut to the size I need for my mold and work as a liner? Or does anyone else have any ideas for a freezer paper alternative??

Thanks!!
I actually use a heavy duty black plastic that my husband used as a barrier under the house. The only thing is , it comes on a big roll. I have lots now. All I need to do is wash them in hot water and they are good for the next time.

Attachments

• 66DE47D7-CB85-4A52-B5CF-1760C4924B0B.jpeg
    66DE47D7-CB85-4A52-B5CF-1760C4924B0B.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 34
  • A42DC4C8-E48A-4DAF-B98A-4FA67154868E.jpeg
    A42DC4C8-E48A-4DAF-B98A-4FA67154868E.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 32
Oh how fabulous!! Thank you so much - I'd read a bunch of people saying they use mylar quilting plastic or similar materials but this is a wonderful resource. :)

I use heat-resistant quilter's mylar, which I cut to fit. I bought it from Joanne's Fabrics down the quilting aisle. They hold up really well. I'm still using the set I cut out about 9 or so years ago.

I also like to use those decorative silicone fondant mats for when I want to add a fancy look to my soap. They cut nicely to fit, and last a long time, too.

Here's my mold lined with both. I have the fondant mat on the bottom and the mylar on the sides:
IMG_2982CroppedSlabModeTOG640.JPG

Here's the soap I made with the above set-up:
IMG_2863CroppedLavender640.JPG

IrishLass :)

I actually use a heavy duty black plastic that my husband used as a barrier under the house. The only thing is , it comes on a big roll. I have lots now. All I need to do is wash them in hot water and they are good for the next time.
Can you show us how you cut it or form it to your mold? Cool idea

How clever to re-purpose items you already have. Good idea, think I will check out my son's workshop to see what I can find.

Can you show us how you cut it or form it to your mold? Cool idea
It’s two end pieces and one large piece that over laps about an inch on the sides. I then fit the plastic inside smoothly, making sure it conforms to the shape of the box. Then trim anything that excessively overhangs. I’ll get pics soon.

I use heat-resistant quilter's mylar, which I cut to fit. I bought it from Joanne's Fabrics down the quilting aisle. They hold up really well. I'm still using the set I cut out about 9 or so years ago.

I also like to use those decorative silicone fondant mats for when I want to add a fancy look to my soap. They cut nicely to fit, and last a long time, too.

Here's my mold lined with both. I have the fondant mat on the bottom and the mylar on the sides:
View attachment 37121

Here's the soap I made with the above set-up:
View attachment 37122

how cool is that!!!

Well, I gave this the old college try. Ione's sweet instructions made me feel pretty confident, but I attempted this once last night and couldn't cut a straight edge to save my life. I accomplished a full plastic liner but after taping it together, it no longer fit into the mold easily. I had spent a lot of time on it, and at that point I threw it away angrily and stomped off to bed, frustrated that I would have had to take it all apart, trim 1/16 in or so off a few edges, and put it back together.

I tried it again just a little while ago using a heavier straight edge ruler and had moderately better results, but still nothing very straight. I also ended up with the same size issue and couldn't trim well enough with scissors. THEN I tried trimming with my exacto knife and sliced the tip of my finger off. So I am done trying, I give up, I am throwing in the towel. I'm still bleeding. I am not crafty enough for this, so I will stick to buying my own silicone molds or lining my wood ones with freezer paper. Sigh. Thanks to all who left suggestions!! I wish I was less clumsy/more crafty and had more patience for this sort of thing.

Well, I gave this the old college try. Ione's sweet instructions made me feel pretty confident, but I attempted this once last night and couldn't cut a straight edge to save my life. I accomplished a full plastic liner but after taping it together, it no longer fit into the mold easily. I had spent a lot of time on it, and at that point I threw it away angrily and stomped off to bed, frustrated that I would have had to take it all apart, trim 1/16 in or so off a few edges, and put it back together.

I tried it again just a little while ago using a heavier straight edge ruler and had moderately better results, but still nothing very straight. I also ended up with the same size issue and couldn't trim well enough with scissors. THEN I tried trimming with my exacto knife and sliced the tip of my finger off. So I am done trying, I give up, I am throwing in the towel. I'm still bleeding. I am not crafty enough for this, so I will stick to buying my own silicone molds or lining my wood ones with freezer paper. Sigh. Thanks to all who left suggestions!! I wish I was less clumsy/more crafty and had more patience for this sort of thing.

sorry you cut yourself--some things just aren't worth that kind of frustration

Wish I read this thread before ordering a 1500ft roll of freezer paper yesterday... lol

I work at a hardware store and have access to that plastic and for cheap! looks like I’ll have to make a ton of soap fast to use up that roll then switch to landscaping plastic... lol

Before you try and make your own silicone liner by buying silicone rubber liquid check the price of the raw materials against the price of a nurture mold. You need addition cured food grade silicone.

You might find that buying the nurture liner and making your own timber box works out cheaper and gives you a perfect finish.

@IrishLass i have aBUNCH of questions. (Please and thank you!)

What are the dimensions of your mold? It looks like you might disassemble / assemble periodically since you have the A B thing going? How does that work?

Did you make your wooden mold yourself? On the bottom edge I see what looks like it might be a hinge? Is it? Does the side drop down?

I also see little indentations on both of the vertical sides (in the picture orientation). Are they there to help you pop the soap out?

It looks like the Mylar is set into the mold, not taped together at the edges - is that right? Is that because since “thickish” not much soap can leak through open joints corners of Mylar?

Finally. How do you get that gorgeous bevel?

If you felt so inclined, a video tour of your mold would be SWEET!

If I am being too mosey, tell me “Back it up, Buttercup!’ I won’t mind!

Thank you so much.

So. This is what I made yesterday.

Got,a piece of corrugated plastic 18 x 14 inches. Following info here http://oursemall.tumblr.com/easysoapmold measured out a rectangle 10 5/8 x 4 in the middle of the sheet, then four inch sides all around ( to make a loaf 10 5/8 long 4 wide 4 high all inches).

By scoring (not cutting through) sheet you can fold along score lines and you end up with this sort of wonky looking box. I am hoping that this will be useable multiple times. I will take photos as I unmold, I imagine I will be able to simply take off the clips at the end, dep the sides and end, and lift my soap from the bottom. To aid this I might cut either Mylar or that groovy lace stuff to fit.

If I perfect as I go I will post. Total cost: $3.98 for sheet. Hour or so figuring and cutting, a few minor finger nicks from blade fingers clips from laundry room.

Yay!

Attachments

• 8219A438-E63A-4922-ADC9-E5194B0529F5.jpeg
    8219A438-E63A-4922-ADC9-E5194B0529F5.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 03D4938D-8795-4D23-AE5D-5CDB32D65CBE.jpeg
    03D4938D-8795-4D23-AE5D-5CDB32D65CBE.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 28
  • B3BB63C4-7B41-4101-ADA4-E0E43EAF180F.jpeg
    B3BB63C4-7B41-4101-ADA4-E0E43EAF180F.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
@IrishLass i have aBUNCH of questions. (Please and thank you!)

What are the dimensions of your mold? It looks like you might disassemble / assemble periodically since you have the A B thing going? How does that work?

It's a convertible, dual log/slab mold, and - yes - you are correct- it disassembles/assembles. Here's a post with pics of what it looks like when in log mode, when in slab mode and completely disassembled.

The overall (slab) dimensions are 10" long x 7 3/4" wide x 2 1/2" tall. When in log mode, it makes one or two logs that are 10" x 3.5" wide x 2.5" tall each.

In slab mode it can make either nine 3.5" wide by 2.5" tall by however thick bars, or 18 3.5" wide by 2.5" tall by 1 1/4" thick bars of soap, depending on how high I fill the mold up with batter.

In log mode, I can get anywhere from four to eight 2.5" x 3.5" x 1/14" bars if I pour only enough batter to fill one or both of the log cavities only up to 1 1/4" deep, and I can get anywhere from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 14 to 16 to 18 to 20 bars that are 3.5" wide by 2.5" tall by however thick, depending on if I fill only one log cavity or both cavities all the way up to the top, and how thick or thin I cut them.

It's quite a versatile mold, and also my favorite out of all the molds I own. If I were forced to get rid of all of my molds but only keep one, this is the mold I would keep. I've been soaping with it since 2006, and it's still going strong even though it looks worse for the wear. lol

Clarice said:
Did you make your wooden mold yourself? On the bottom edge I see what looks like it might be a hinge? Is it? Does the side drop down?

No, I'm a soapmaker not a woodworker, Jim. ;) lol It was actually made by a fellow soapmaker and woodworker who used to be a moderator here years ago when the forum first started out- SoapmakerMan. I don't know whatever became of him.....he seemed to have dropped off the face of the planet around 7 years ago. Anyway, he had his own online business making soap molds and cutters, and my sis actually was the one who purchased it for me and gave it to me for Christmas in 2006. My first 'real' mold. lol

Clarice said:
I also see little indentations on both of the vertical sides (in the picture orientation). Are they there to help you pop the soap out?

You probably know by now from seeing the pics that the indentations are where the divider for converting the mold into the log mode is inserted. :)

Clarice said:
It looks like the Mylar is set into the mold, not taped together at the edges - is that right? Is that because since “thickish” not much soap can leak through open joints corners of Mylar?

Yes- that is correct- I don't need to tape the liners at the corners, although I should mention that the pic doesn't actually show how things really look when the mold is prepped to receive batter. On one of the long (10") sides, I place a 1/8"-thick strip of Funky Foam behind the mylar strip there that is the same size as the mylar strip, which is just enough to push the small gaps in the corners closed, if that makes sense. In any case, that little improvisation of mine makes it so that the corners do not leak any more than 1/8 teaspoon of soap, total, if I happen to pour at a thin trace. At med-thick trace, way much less than that to zero soap breaks through at all.

Clarice said:
Finally. How do you get that gorgeous bevel?

With my handy-dandy Kakuri 1/8" to 1/4" radius plane as demonstrated here. :)

My pleasure, Clarice! If you read further in the thread that I linked that contains my mold pics, you'll come upon some really cool posts by LBussy that give you a 3-d illustration of my mold, like this one here. That should help your woodworker friend when he makes the mold.

Latest posts

Back