Rendered some tallow + test soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapBro

Reaction score
Well i rendered some beef tallow yesterday, started with 1kg of cow fat, i let it simmer for about 2 hours and when the leftovers turned brown i poured it through a cloth into a 1 liter jar, by the looks of it i ended up with about 600g of beef tallow, anyone got some recipes for it?

gsz4eRb.jpg

after an hour:
Q2G2d7M.jpg

30 minutes in the fridge:
rIIwuQl.jpg

i also made a test batch of soap, just two small bars since i was bored, i used an odd mix of oils, 50% castor oil, 25% shea butter & 25% cocoa butter with a 7% superfat, the soap ended up looking ivory white and not transparent at all, its very hard and has a low bubbly lather.

NZ52ulc.jpg

im gonna let it cure some more before seeing what it does to my skin..

Really nice white tallow, how does it smell? Use it in place of palm/lard in any of your regular recipes. I made a bar a couple days ago with 50% tallow, 30% OO, 15% pumpkin seed oil and 5% coconut. It seems like a really nice hard, gentle soap.

Really nice white tallow, how does it smell? Use it in place of palm/lard in any of your regular recipes. I made a bar a couple days ago with 50% tallow, 30% OO, 15% pumpkin seed oil and 5% coconut. It seems like a really nice hard, gentle soap.

when its hard theres very little smell, when its melted its smells like steak.

i'm thinking about trying to make a 50% tallow 50% OO soap, thoughts? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I recently made 50% lard, 50% OO and its a nice bar. Hard and gentle but not much lather. I'd toss in a little castor

Just plain tallow makes a really nice bar all by itself. Or combine it and treat it as if it were palm--some coconut, a lot of olive, maybe some castor, and so on.

If I were doing it?

50% tallow
35% olive
10% coconut
5% castor

Just plain tallow makes a really nice bar all by itself. Or combine it and treat it as if it were palm--some coconut, a lot of olive, maybe some castor, and so on.

If I were doing it?

50% tallow
35% olive
10% coconut
5% castor

sounds good, i might do just that, thanks! :-D

Latest posts

Back