Shave Soap Insights about Tallow Shave Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49910

Reaction score
I have been producing and selling Vegan-based shave soaps for about 9 months now. Success has been good, some months better than others. My predominant ingredient is Stearic Acid, which provides a significant amount of the formula I use. Beef tallow is expensive to buy already rendered averaging around 35¢ to 51¢ per ounce based on Amazon pricing in 2lb. quantities or larger. I could render it myself, but it is a lengthy process. That is why I continue to use other ingredients rather than tallow. Stearic acid in 5lb. quantities is around 18¢ per ounce from WSP. I feel that my use of Shea Butter helps add richness and emollients to the soap's lather.

Check out this link to the SHARPOLOGIST website where "Alraz" (pseudonym?) pens an interesting article regarding the 7 myths of tallow in shave soaps. In addition, he points a couple of interesting facts about lanolin and comparing lanolin to beef tallow, etc..

7 Common Tallow Soap Myths

I am by no means claiming that this is THE DEFINITIVE article regarding beef tallow in shave soap. He does however provide some good information and food for thought.

May All Members Here Have a Safe and Happy All Hallows' Eve!

Last edited:
Stearic Acid, which provides a significant amount of the formula I use. Beef tallow is expensive to buy already rendered averaging around 35¢ to 51¢ per ounce based on Amazon pricing in 2lb. quantities or larger.
I feel that my use of Shea Butter
You want to finish that statement? :videovisit:

SOAPERS CHOICE (Chicago area) Home | Soaper's Choice
Choose PRODUCT LIST - Upper Menu Bar to see all the products they offer.

Stearic Acid, 8 lb ................. $14.00
Tallow, 7 lb ...........................$11.55
Subtotal ............................... $25.55
Shipping, processing, sales tax $18.15
TOTAL $43.70

The shipping cost will likely increase by $1 each if you add to 2 more items to your order. I buy 4 items at a time to spread out the shipping cost. ;)

NOTE: SHEA BUTTER, Refined or raw from Ghana, $36 for 10 pounds.

I'll tag along with a source for stearic not commonly mentioned-soy (and not the wax).

FromNatureWithLove has soy derived stearic acid for quite a reasonable price, on sale right now for $18.76 for 10 lbs. I know you're good with RSPO, but this stuff is near as cheaper as palm (for now) in smaller quantities. I also like where the site has it's price breaks at 2, 5, 10, and 25 lbs.

https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/SOAP/product.asp?product_id=OTHSTEARICMY60

Last edited:
Many of them are less myth and more "stupid statement" - the last one, for example, I imagine that many tallow shaving soaps contain lanolin in the recipe as you're already out of vegan territory and so you might as well and in the other goodies. I know that I do! Many of the others are massively subjective and might be true for one person and not for another, something we see a lot of here at SMF in general.

One thing that does seem strange to me is that the number of shavers who want a vegan soap because it is vegan likely outnumbers the shavers who are actually vegan...........

One thing that does seem strange to me is that the number of shavers who want a vegan soap because it is vegan likely outnumbers the shavers who are actually vegan...........
That's a TRUE STORY! LOL!

I just made a paste-type of shave soap with both beef tallow and lanolin oil. Wow! What a difference in the slickness and glide of my razor.
This is a subjective statement on my part; but the soap seems to offer more protection from little nicks and such.

NatureWithLove has soy derived stearic acid for quite a reasonable price
Thanks for the heads up on a new source of stearic acid. It's appreciated!

Many of them are less myth and more "stupid statement"

This. The article could have been framed a bit better. Seems like it was more an opportunity to get on the soap box. The lanolin one was quite strange, it's right there on the label and is usually very far down on the list of ingredients with tallow and stearic number one and two. Anybody over the age of 12 should be able to deduce a rough idea of how that soap is made up and what contributes the majority of the benefit. I've never seen a shaver nor soaper claim tallow's great because of the lanolin. Lanolin's great, but two separate things.

Guilty, lol. I went this route as a challenge more than anything, the rep of veggie soap is either "second best" or simply a sideshow soap to the main tallow. Regarding shaving and purchasing, I don't care what I use and have almost all tallow soaps in my drawer...and I have a LOT. Regarding the soap making, vegan seemed to have more unexplored avenues as well as a huge variety of fats and oils.

I'll tag along with a source for stearic not commonly mentioned-soy (and not the wax).
FromNatureWithLove has soy derived stearic acid for quite a reasonable price, on sale right now for $18.76 for 10 lbs. I know you're good with RSPO, but this stuff is near as cheaper as palm (for now) in smaller quantities. I also like where the site has it's price breaks at 2, 5, 10, and 25 lbs.
https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/SOAP/product.asp?product_id=OTHSTEARICMY60
Thanks for that suggestion. I'd never ordered from them before, and they have four things that I want on sale, for a good price and reasonable shipping. Just about to complete the order as soon as I can peruse my soap shelves and make sure there isn't anything else I *need* right now. ;)

Thanks for that suggestion. I'd never ordered from them before, and they have four things that I want on sale, for a good price and reasonable shipping. Just about to complete the order as soon as I can peruse my soap shelves and make sure there isn't anything else I *need* right now. ;)
I'm sure you've noticed by now, but shipping is not cheap (if you're getting heavy bulky stuff).. I don't think it's cheap anywhere right now, but at least some of the prices offset the shipping.

Latest posts

Back