Reducing greesyness n stickyness of lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Hi all
Ive been trying my hand on lotion making n tried many batches.
So is basic
Sl 2%
Dimethacone1-2%
Gylcerine 2 %
Olive 7
Shea 2
Almond oil 3
I pm 2%
This is just some std ratios with variation in oils n with or without sl/ gly
Now ive tried with sl n gyl combo..
Withouy sl
Without gylcerine also.

I tried with soybean oil. N it absobs very well but looks oily n shiny on hands. I increases ipm to 4% but still feels oily. How do i cut that ?
Also i reduced or rather removed glycerine in few batches to get rid og the stickyness

Is there something else that cab be effecting this.
What do i to do get rid of the oily shine.. It suits well for my skin but i dont like the oily shine

Any suggestion??

What are you using as an emulsifier? If you don't have anything to emulsify it it's going to be greasy.....Unless I'm missing something here... :)

What is Sl 2% and I pm 2%?

I found this tutorial helpful: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/how-to-create-homemade-lotion-recipes/

Lotion Recipe General Recipe Guideline:
70 – 80% – Distilled Water
3 – 5% – Stearic Acid (or other co-emulsifier)
3 – 6% – Emulsifying Wax (or other emulsifier)
Add the rest in of your choice of oils and butters

To this add:
.5 – 1% – Preservative (Click here to learn about preservatives)
.5% – Fragrance

For my thin lotion - meaning I want it to squirt out of a bottle - I use no hard oils. I like rice bran and meadowfoam b/c they absorb pretty quickly.

isha, you need to read up on lotion making at the Swiftcraftymonkey blogspot. Most of the questions will be answered there, along with a good guideline on lotion making.

Oh sorry. I mean sodium lactate. IPM iso propyl mystrate.
Im using 74% water
N emulsifying wax nf for emulsification
At 25% of oil phase +.5.% for using IPM
as directed by susan

Ive been reading alot on swift craft monkey n started with the basic recipe n doing alterations to them
I use .5% phenonip as preservative
1% fo/eo

Sorry for the typo. Im using forum on phone n my keypad seems to have gone crazy some times

Im tryin to use different oils.
When using soybean oil.... Which is greesy. I increased IPM from 2 % to 4% ... To reduce the greasiness
Reduced water by 2% for extra IPM
Still not able to get it right .
I didnt find anything in the blog.. (i may have missed.. But tats highly unlikely)

Hence I posted here for ur guidance

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Simple elimination, have your tried the oils on your skin by themselves? Shea and olive stick out to me as two oils that can take longer to absorb and leave your skin feeling a bit greasy as a result. If one oil gives you the greasy feeling you don’t like then that’s where you need to tweak your recipe. If it’s not the oils then you know it’s one of your other ingredients and you can adjust from there.

But...but Shea Butter is not greasy and oily. At least not the Shea Butter I get here and that Shea is all I have tried. Am guessing our (Nigeria) Shea is higher in Stearic and Palmitic because at room temperature my Shea Butter is harder than Mango Butter from Soaper’s Choice. Olive oil is greasy and oily and am not a fan of it in anything except the refined.

Last edited:
Like others suggested, I think it depends on your skin and personal preference. I like lighter oils but some of my friends complain that my lighter lotions aren't greasy enough. If you find soybean oil to be too greasy, maybe exclude it from the recipe. The IPM can't really change the basic nature of the oil.
Also, the whole recipe can contribute to the skin feel of the lotion. You may need to play with different emulsifiers, thickeners, oils, butters, and additives. You really can't say one ingredient of a lotion solely contributes to a greasiness of a lotion.

I find unrefined and refined shea to be equally greasy. I do not use unrefined shea in lotion I just do not think it is safe enough to trust in lotion. I do use it in soap, but I have found bugs, chili peppers, plant material and all kinds of things in un-refined shea, so I much prefer refined in lotion.

Latest posts

Back